• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Corn and Beans

hitek7

Planted about 4.5 acres of late corn and beans this past Saturday. Got rained on Sunday. Hoping it has time to make and gets enough rain (where is the "fingers crossed" icon?)

Anything special I need to do to this stuff whhen it gets up a little? I know I will go back and spray round up but do I need to put some nitrogen to it?

I would wait 30-40 days after planting until putting urea (nitrogen) out. The only bad thing is trying to catch a rain to put the fertilizer in the ground. The way its been all summer you might not have a problem getting a rain. 30-40 days as always worked for me but I have put it out2 weeks
after planting.

You can topdress corn whenever you like try to use a coated urea treated with agrotain or nutrisphere it keeps it from volitizing if you don't catch a rain perfectly . The rule of thumb is 1.6 pds of nitrogen per bushel of corn produced. And no nitrogen is not " just for corn" you can actually topdress soybeans at R3 to help reduce pod abortion witch leaves more beans for deer to eat during the winter for me to " combine"

Actually soybeans don't "leak" significant amounts of N and in fact they often use much more nitrogen then is produced by N2 fixation. So that practice might work a little bit but don't plan on that being your only nitrogen source source for your corn or you may be disappointed . However you guys are growing for deer etc not for money

Jonnyringo said:
You can topdress corn whenever you like try to use a coated urea treated with agrotain or nutrisphere it keeps it from volitizing if you don't catch a rain perfectly . The rule of thumb is 1.6 pds of nitrogen per bushel of corn produced. And no nitrogen is not " just for corn" you can actually topdress soybeans at R3 to help reduce pod abortion witch leaves more beans for deer to eat during the winter for me to " combine"
You must be the only farmer that puts nitrogen on soybeans!

Not quit jmf educate yourself a little bit there's more than one way to skin a cat!! Now I'm really going to blow your mind I used 1lb of food grade dextrose to the acre in furrow when I planted these beans with my pop up fertilizer!

Just an update on our late planting. Corn is doing good in most fields. One field they had squared off the top of every corn plant growing. The other are doing well and are about to waist high. The beans however got eaten as quick as they come up. This was a trial for us anyway and the main thing I wanted to grow was the corn. The corn is a little thick as the planter was not working and we just broadcast the seed. Not ideal but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I will try and take some pics this weekend.

Latest posts

Back