• Help Support TNDeer:

Cornmeal jacket?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Planning on cooking my two crappie this evening.
I always use Andy's to batter my fish but I am about 99% sure I am out.
Don't wanna go to the store just for that so I am gonna go "old school" on them.

I am assuming you just mix a little salt & pepper with the corn meal for the batter?

Also, I normally just leave my fillets a little moist and the Andy's sticks to them fine.
Do I need to dip them in egg or anything before putting in the corn meal?

I know that sounds funny but I have never battered a fish with anything but Andys.

No wrong way to do it really. In ideal circumstances I use corn meal with Cajun seasoning or some salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Dry off the fish, dust in that mixture, dip the fish in buttermilk and egg whisked together then toss in the cornmeal. Leave it in the cornmeal and throw it in the fridge while the oil heats up. When the oil's ready pull out the fish, shake it off, and fry it. It makes the crust thicker and you get a nice heavy crunch.

Nothing wrong with straight cornmeal on a plain fillet. The coating won't be as thick but the taste will be fine.

We have some big fish fries every year, and everyone loves it. We use the below:

- 3 parts cornmeal
- 1 part flour
- Just a hair under 1/8 part of salt

For cups, 3 cups meal, 1 cup flour, just short of 1/8 cup of salt.

I also like the Cajun spice and a little garlic powder to the cormeal. I just ate a skillet full of crappie with fried potatoes.

Coat em in yellow mustard before you roll in corn meal mix. They be fine! That is what the fish fryer ( Shorty)at church does when I went to the Methodist uptown. Shorty probably cooks a few thousand pounds per year.

Then ya need some freezer slaw to go with them. Lol

TN Larry":3n0d0vtf said:
We have some big fish fries every year, and everyone loves it. We use the below:

- 3 parts cornmeal
- 1 part flour
- Just a hair under 1/8 part of salt

For cups, 3 cups meal, 1 cup flour, just short of 1/8 cup of salt.

thats about how i fix mine. one batch will have tony's in it. i only use yellow corn meal for fish.

Same for me on the corn meal and salt except I throw in some garlic powder and onions, and a little pinch of old bay. Sometimes I forget the old bay and really can't even tell it.

Thanks everyone.
I will definitely try these.

I got the fillets out yesterday evening rinsed them off again and the more I looked at them the more I knew those 4 fillets would just make me mad. LOL

Put a little water on them and put them in the freezer.
Gonna go fishing tomorrow and hopefully add to the stash a little. :D

I buy this at a little drug store in Maynardville, 1 box lasts about 2 years sharing with the family, works great on vegetables and any thing fried, no need to add seasonings unless you want Cajun. costs about $1 a pound . I separate it out into 1 gal bags then throw in freezer.

I also do the 2 parts corn meal, one part flour recipe, but I use seasoned salt instead of plain salt. go a bit short on salt, mix it well, and then taste the meal mixture. It's kinda annoying to have to dilute out an over-salted mix. You can always add salt after cooking, too.

Look up a good hushpuppy recipe (it's garbage if it doesn't involve yellow onion) and you can stretch those fillets a bit further :D

woodyard":1mll1yty said:
Coat em in yellow mustard before you roll in corn meal mix. They be fine! That is what the fish fryer ( Shorty)at church does when I went to the Methodist uptown. Shorty probably cooks a few thousand pounds per year.

Then ya need some freezer slaw to go with them. Lol

Love doing them in mustard. Usually throw a few in franks hot sauce as well. Watched a video the other day of someone doing them in sour cream. He said it was better than mustard.

Latest posts

Back