• Help Support TNDeer:

Crappie fishing on KY Lake ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Any of you guys heard of many people catching them up shallow in the bushes yet?

Trying to decide to go forward on a trip I have planned for this week up there.
Looking like Thursday will be a wash out and Wed & Fri a crap shoot.

Planning on hitting the backwater at Springville for Crappie and Bream.
Just wondering if there are many (crappie) up shallow yet?

I'm a crappy fisherman but I spent Fri and Sat around Piney on the lake and we only caught 6 bluegill and one giant shell cracker.
Didn't catch a thing on the bushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are hit and miss. my son and i fished all weekend. we were going to start out south but decided to run north before the wind was supposed to start at noon. when we got back there was an older guy in the place we should have started out at. i heard him talking to another guy and he said "im tearing them up". figures with my luck, lol. that spot had laydown logs you can only see at winter pool. that spot is about 6 ft deep now.

we did have an interesting 10 mile ride back in 10-15 mile winds, but the new tracker revolution hulls makes for a nice ride.

we did find some nice eater 8" bump heads caught on pop eye jigs and beetle spins tipped with gulp 1" lil minnows.

Attachments

• A33864C1-CD1F-4116-8069-2D3B12E470F1.jpeg
    A33864C1-CD1F-4116-8069-2D3B12E470F1.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,300
RUGER":vaqxdhp0 said:
Any of you guys heard of many people catching them up shallow in the bushes yet?

Trying to decide to go forward on a trip I have planned for this week up there.
Looking like Thursday will be a wash out and Wed & Fri a crap shoot.

Planning on hitting the backwater at Springville for Crappie and Bream.
Just wondering if there are many (crappie) up shallow yet?
We caught some shallow 3-4 weeks ago,now we are catching them deeper

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

All I have heard is it is terrible. I know of 2 tournaments that fished this weekend. One was 25 boats, only 5 had even a fish to weigh in.

One had about 70 boats, mostly locals, and only 10 or so had at least one legal bass. I hate it, but I probably will not go to Kentucky lake for a long time.

Headhunter":9o4z4v5t said:
All I have heard is it is terrible. I know of 2 tournaments that fished this weekend. One was 25 boats, only 5 had even a fish to weigh in.

One had about 70 boats, mostly locals, and only 10 or so had at least one legal bass. I hate it, but I probably will not go to Kentucky lake for a long time.
Bass tournaments,i know a couple like that last weekend.2-3 weeks ago the bass were on shallow stumps around the 6fow range,we caught a bunch fishing for crappie.We didnt catch any bass last weekend,they must have moved.Bluegill are starting to move shallower and are in the shallow stumps now.Kylake aint that bad,but think the carp have affected the fish movement.95% of the bass guys just beat the bank,alot dont fish the deeper water.

bluball":3dhq4po0 said:
Headhunter":3dhq4po0 said:

Bass tournaments,i know a couple like that last weekend.2-3 weeks ago the bass were on shallow stumps around the 6fow range,we caught a bunch fishing for crappie.We didnt catch any bass last weekend,they must have moved.Bluegill are starting to move shallower and are in the shallow stumps now.Kylake aint that bad,but think the carp have affected the fish movement.95% of the bass guys just beat the bank,alot dont fish the deeper water.

both bluegill and bass were both deep and shallow this past weekend as they most often are as they spawn in waves and not all at once. we caught more bluegill hens shallower and the males were in the 10-12 ft range off the spawning areas sitting on bottom.

agree with bluball on the carp and ive noticed the same the last two years. some of those traditional holes weve been fishing the last 40 years, if they have carp in there, start looking at new spots away from the carp or under the carp.

i watched a new bass angler in one of the creeks, the first thing he did was pull out a big arse spinnerbait and start throwing at the banks. i could tell he was new because it looked like he was bird fishing and not yet learned a side arm cast. he more than likely spooked every fish along the bank. all he had to do was look at his electronics and see where the beds were. he said he just started last year and the guys he fishes with told him he started in a bad year, lol.

WTM":22hb7jxo said:
bluball":22hb7jxo said:
Headhunter":22hb7jxo said:

both bluegill and bass were both deep and shallow this past weekend as they most often are as they spawn in waves and not all at once. we caught more bluegill hens shallower and the males were in the 10-12 ft range off the spawning areas sitting on bottom.

agree with bluball on the carp and ive noticed the same the last two years. some of those traditional holes weve been fishing the last 40 years, if they have carp in there, start looking at new spots away from the carp or under the carp.

i watched a new bass angler in one of the creeks, the first thing he did was pull out a big arse spinnerbait and start throwing at the banks. i could tell he was new because it looked like he was bird fishing and not yet learned a side arm cast. he more than likely spooked every fish along the bank. all he had to do was look at his electronics and see where the beds were. he said he just started last year and the guys he fishes with told him he started in a bad year, lol.
Yep agree they dont all spawn at once,but the majority usually around the same time.The gills i saw them on the livescope swarming like baitfish on stumps 6fow or less were i was at.I didnt notice any deeper,but wasnt really looking for them either.I havent fished for cracker or gills since 2009,i crappie 12 months a yr and they are all i fish for.Agree fish are shallow or deep,but if there was alotbof bass shallow i bet the catch rates at the local tournys would have been alot better.

I have not found many shallow. Put a few in the boat this past weekend but from the 10-12 foot range.
Couple of bass also...a 2.5 lb and a 5.4 lb in the same depth water, that 5 pound was fun on a 14 foot pole with 60 feet of line out!!

X-Tennessean":mpl7rj9p said:
I have not found many shallow. Put a few in the boat this past weekend but from the 10-12 foot range.
Couple of bass also...a 2.5 lb and a 5.4 lb in the same depth water, that 5 pound was fun on a 14 foot pole with 60 feet of line out!!
[emoji44]bet that was fun

Was in Blood River over Easter Weekend. They are scattered everywhere in most depths. My neighbor is a crappie slayer and he says they are everywhere and he is just random drifting long flats to catch them here and there.

Thursday was warm and slight rain. In the rain, Me and my 3 kids caught 23 keepers and 2 catfish off the dock in 3 ft of water on bobber and minnows. Hella awesome day watching my kids catch all the fish.

Good Friday was 40 degrees and cold rain (hard rain) all day, did not fish.

Saturday finally warmed up in the afternoon. I put the boat in, water was chocolate milk and wind was 30 mph and made fishing impossible. Went back to the same dock and caught 12 more keepers.

Sunday was perfect, 75 degrees (I got sunburnt) and water temp jumped up. I put the boat in and spider rigged all over for 5 hours, all of my brushpiles in 6-10 ft of water. Caught 1 keeper! put the boat back on the trailer and went back to the dock. Fished for 2.5 hours with bobber and minnow and NEVER CAUGHT A FISH!

U tell me where they are?

looks like the bite may be picking up. an old friend that has a place up river said he caught a limit monday in 6-8 ft of water. said they looked like post spawn fish. he said he caught them 2-3 weeks ago and then they just shut down. he said the carp showed up this week too. :bash:

It was really slow yesterday for sure.
We picked up 4 keepers and about 12 total fish.
Never caught the first one till about 12:30 then it was one every once in a while.
Fished from 12:30 till 4:30.

Latest posts

Back