• Help Support TNDeer:

Crappie on KY Lake

Knothead

A friend of mine from Little Rock and I have, for 18 years, met somewhere between Nashville and Little Rock every spring to crappie fish for a few days. We've done Mississippi lakes, and Reelfoot Lake many times and are looking for something new. We are thinking about KY Lake/Lake Barkley, but neither of us have ever fished there for crappie (or anything else, for that matter). Looking for a little help.
Does anyone know a good guide service? (we though we'd get a guide for the first day, then go out on our own for the other days). Any suggestions on hotels, cabins, specific areas on the lake, etc.?

We are literally shooting in the dark here, and I would appreciate any help from any of you true sportsmen,
Thanks.

Buchanan resort also has several other guides if steve is booked. Steve can also recommend you someone. I think the prices used to be $300-$350 per trip plus tip. It has been a few years since i have been though.

Sent from Space

Approximately when will you do this?

Steve is one of the top guides. A lot others around though. I can maybe give you some pointers on the area from Paris Landing south up the Big Sandy area depending on time frame.
You got several options on where to stay. Paris Landing Inn in the state park, Fish Tale Lodge. Buchanan Resort ,several others in the area. Some motels in Paris. Some cabins around for daily rental.

If you all are fairly good at crappie, you can probably do pretty good without a guide if you are coming prespawn thru spawing time.

Knothead, that could be the prime spawn time just according to what happens in March , temp wise.
If you get you a map of the Big Sandy to Paris Landing area I can get you into the areas that should be producing then.
What method will you be using ? Long lining , spider rigging , casting jigs, vertical jigging
I haven't crappie fished much in Ky Lake in the last two to three years, but the patterns should still be productive for that time.
Most likely wil be in 4-8 ft water around stump beds and man made beds.
Lower Big Sandy out from Country Junction resort might be hot , water about 6-9 ft , scattered stump beds
Area west of Sulphur Wells island will have beds and some scattered stumps. Swamp Creek which would be nw of Sulphur Wells Island would have several 4-6 ft stump and beds.
I mainly troll spider rigged over these stump bed areas to locate them and then concentrate on the depth where I find them You will have plenty of company out there at that time, so just look for the areas with a bunch of boats and that can cut your search time down.
Bring this topic back up closer to the time and I can probably give you more detaied specifics. Might even give you some gps coordinates to my favorite areas. One of my favorite places is a hump that has a rocky bottom and runs about 4 ft to deep andnot over an acre in size. I set on top of it many times and cast jigs and bring in fish every two or three casts.
As with most lakes the wind can be a pain to deal with then.

andy hicks for a guide and if you longline just follow the boats ,lots of fish caught at bigsandy

woodyard":1ugfhkv8 said:
Knothead, that could be the prime spawn time just according to what happens in March , temp wise.
If you get you a map of the Big Sandy to Paris Landing area I can get you into the areas that should be producing then.
What method will you be using ? Long lining , spider rigging , casting jigs, vertical jigging
I haven't crappie fished much in Ky Lake in the last two to three years, but the patterns should still be productive for that time.
Most likely wil be in 4-8 ft water around stump beds and man made beds.
Lower Big Sandy out from Country Junction resort might be hot , water about 6-9 ft , scattered stump beds
Area west of Sulphur Wells island will have beds and some scattered stumps. Swamp Creek which would be nw of Sulphur Wells Island would have several 4-6 ft stump and beds.
I mainly troll spider rigged over these stump bed areas to locate them and then concentrate on the depth where I find them You will have plenty of company out there at that time, so just look for the areas with a bunch of boats and that can cut your search time down.
Bring this topic back up closer to the time and I can probably give you more detaied specifics. Might even give you some gps coordinates to my favorite areas. One of my favorite places is a hump that has a rocky bottom and runs about 4 ft to deep andnot over an acre in size. I set on top of it many times and cast jigs and bring in fish every two or three casts.
As with most lakes the wind can be a pain to deal with then.
Good info and spot on for your time frame.

Longline Guide Service
1-731-234-8357
Brandon Mayse

Good friend of mine and fishes every weekend, has been for years. Wont break the bank either.
You should be hitting it prime time!

Need to check out Richard Simms on the Chickamauga. He will put you on them. I'd make plans in the future to book a trip with him if you are ever down that way.

Back