• Help Support TNDeer:

Crappie time!

TNReb

Crappie are getting catchable (for people lol me who don't know how to find them in the winter)!

Spent about 2 hours on Old Hickory today. Got there a little late. Probably caught 20 in the first 45 minutes.... probably 8 keepers. Then the bite just shut off a little before noon.

If crappie fishermen would learn side scan and down scan on their electronics, they could wipe out the population! LOL

If you're having trouble locating and catching them in the winter, ride long points and sides of creek channels. When you see the Christmas tree looking school, stop and drop a line.

SilverFox":2zhevc5y said:
If crappie fishermen would learn side scan and down scan on their electronics, they could wipe out the population! LOL

If you're having trouble locating and catching them in the winter, ride long points and sides of creek channels. When you see the Christmas tree looking school, stop and drop a line.
X2 I updated my electronics this winter with a lowrance hook 7 and it is unbelievable at what you can see under your boat Now ...

SilverFox":cd0nmiim said:

You are right about that. A few weeks ago my buddy and I went to KY lake blue gill and crappie fishing. We idled over a creek mouth and saw a big school of fish on the down imaging in about 20ft of water. We caught fish out of that school for 6 hours straight, all big blue gill and shell cracker with some crappie mixed in. We ended up catching almost 300 and brought home our limit in shell cracker and crappie.

Caught them all on red worms and tuffy minnows rigged on a drop shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SilverFox":80vha1tf said:

Yesterday the Big Brown Truck left me a Hummingbird Helix 10 MEGA SI Chirp GPS G2N. Already have a Helix 7 SI Chirp GPS G2 on the bow. Saturday I'll install the 10 at the helm. Gonna take it out on Guntersville Sunday and see what I can see with MEGA. Feeling like a kid at Christmas!

SilverFox":2c9x1nuk said:

I'm limited by my "boat". I only have a 10ft pond boat, so I'm limited to the smaller shallow water areas.

Hoping to change that in the next couple of years.

TNReb":h8e1eurt said:
SilverFox":h8e1eurt said:

I'm limited by my "boat". I only have a 10ft pond boat, so I'm limited to the smaller shallow water areas.

Hoping to change that in the next couple of years.
If you ever want to go sometime let me know. I've got a boat, would love some pointers on catching them.

I don't crappie fish much. When I do I tight line a crappie jig... a lot of the time just dropping it on schools I find on my graphs. Sometimes you'll get fooled by white bass since they school in similar areas and often look the similar on the graph. It won't take you long to figure out what they are when you drop a jig or minnow in them.

From what I saw yesterday, the crappie are already moving shallower. I saw some in 6-8 foot yesterday.

SilverFox":heclvnl9 said:

i worry more about the bluegill than the crappie. even if all of the white crappie were caught out we would still have the black crappie, which by the trap net study outnumber the whites by 40% on KY lake, and most guys will never change their tactics to catch many of the blacks.

anytime a large amount of the 9-11 inch bluegill are removed you will pretty much destroy the bluegill fishery.

electronics are pretty good and becoming cheap, but you still have to catch them.

Electronics aren't going to help you with bluegill the way they will crappie... and I don't think you could catch out the crappie no matter what, those thing multiply.

I've caught more blacks on Douglas and Cherokee than I have whites also.

SilverFox":3vis043h said:
Electronics aren't going to help you with bluegill the way they will crappie... and I don't think you could catch out the crappie no matter what, those thing multiply.

I've caught more blacks on Douglas and Cherokee than I have whites also.

bull bluegill act just like bigger white crappie. they spawn deeper, almost immediately after spawn they head for the deeper ledges and in fall and winter they congregate in deeper channels and creek mouths. this is where electronics comes into play. ive scanned bluegill beds as deep as 10ft deep.

black crappie on the other hand are entirely a different animal and if you dont keep your distance from them your not going to consistently catch them in many numbers. in the spring electronics is almost useless for black crappie except for the prespawn where they will be mixed in with the whites on the deeper brushpiles. just my opinion and observations over the last few years where i changed from spider rigging and jigging over brushpiles to more of a casting method. a lot more fun too.

SilverFox":3egfpdwu said:
Look up Richard Gene the fishing machine on YouTube. He puts out a lot of crappie videos with a lot of good info. He doesn't show using electronics but he's pretty knowledgeable about catching them.
Thanks for the heads up, like how that guy rolls.

Chickamauga Lake crappie started to fire off a couple of weeks ago. We were catching 20 keepers, give or take, per trip. Then the monsoons came and knocked 'em in the head. :bash:

But, they're starting to fire up again. We had 15 good slabs yesterday morning with a BAZILLION short fish.

Attachments

• howard1.jpg
    howard1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,201

Latest posts

Back