• Help Support TNDeer:

Dad bought me a Fly rod

Bone Collector

and I have not fly fished since I was 12, which was a long time ago. I know I need leaders and tippets and flies....

I have waders.

any suggestions on what type of leader lb. test line or tippet lb test line i need to get would be appreciated. Also what type of flies do you recommend and where is a good place around Murfreesboro or Franklin to get stuff?

thanks,

Academy in cool springs has a small fly fishing section. The only other places that I know of are in Nashville. I would get floating fly line and about a 4lb tippet. For panfish, I would get popping bugs. For trout, I would get various colors and sizes of woolly buggers, wulff flies, adams flies, dunns, ants, beetles, and nymphs.

Bone Collector":21a485vr said:
and I have not fly fished since I was 12, which was a long time ago. I know I need leaders and tippets and flies....

I have waders.

any suggestions on what type of leader lb. test line or tippet lb test line i need to get would be appreciated. Also what type of flies do you recommend and where is a good place around Murfreesboro or Franklin to get stuff?

thanks,

It all depends on what you are fishing for. There will be a difference between stuff for trout on the Caney and bluegills and bass.

I start work tomorrow at Fly South on 19th Ave. off of West End in Nashville. I'm sure they have everything you need to get started. Come on by and we'll get you fixed up.

There is nothing better than bream fishing with a fly rod....I grew up in Florida and had more fun than should be allowed.

Fly fishing on KY lake during mayfly hatches is a blast. You'll easily catch a hundred in a day, along with some bass as bycatch.

JimFromTN":1shg79ei said:
Academy in cool springs has a small fly fishing section. The only other places that I know of are in Nashville. I would get floating fly line and about a 4lb tippet. For panfish, I would get popping bugs. For trout, I would get various colors and sizes of woolly buggers, wulff flies, adams flies, dunns, ants, beetles, and nymphs.

I went over to Academy yesterday. I bought some flies, leader and tippet.

i was taught (when i was 12) that you tie a leader to the fly line, then a tippet to the leader. the videos I have watched show guys just tying leaders to the fly line and then the fly to the leader.

Do I not need the tippet? if not i will return it and get another fly....

I always buy a tapered leader/tippet and tie that directly to the fly line. As the line gets shorter, you can either add a tippet or replace the whole thing.

Bone Collector":s6psyue0 said:
JimFromTN":s6psyue0 said:

I went over to Academy yesterday. I bought some flies, leader and tippet.

i was taught (when i was 12) that you tie a leader to the fly line, then a tippet to the leader. the videos I have watched show guys just tying leaders to the fly line and then the fly to the leader.

Do I not need the tippet? if not i will return it and get another fly....

Without tippet, you will be shortening your tapered leader every time you change a fly. It won't take many changes before you are getting into the larger diameter part of the leader where it won't be an appropriate size for smaller flies.

Tying on a section of tippet cuts down on that leader destruction. When you change flies with the tippet, you are cutting away tippet instead of leader, with tippet being much cheaper than a tapered leader. When your tippet section gets too short, you can then clip it off and tie on more tippet. It will greatly extend the life of your leader.

Latest posts

Back