• Help Support TNDeer:

Decline or something else???

Ski

I can't tell for sure if this deer is sick or old. My first thought when I saw him was young buck with promise. But as I look closer I'm wondering if he's old in decline. He's very thin but neck is flush with brisket, and hips are sunken in but still has high shoulders. Any thoughts?

Sorry for bad pics. I'm snapping pics of my laptop screen. When I get home on computer I'll get better pics with some daylight pics up.

Attachments

• 20240929_142041.webp
    20240929_142041.webp
    180.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240929_135407.webp
    20240929_135407.webp
    351.3 KB · Views: 1
I think young 3.5 just thin. The hips are a little concerning. Maybe it's just the way the picture was taken. I would like to see better pictures for sure. This one is interesting.

That 2nd pic dated the 18th looks like he's not in very good shape; were the other bucks you have pics of from that time look that thin? If not, that would be the concerning thing to me.

That 2nd pic dated the 18th looks like he's not in very good shape; were the other bucks you have pics of from that time look that thin? If not, that would be the concerning thing to me.

Nah they're all pretty healthy. Plenty acorns too of all varieties so either he's unwell or very old. I had two bucks last year with similar racks, both mainframe 10s. One was giant and old. The other was young. I'm pretty sure he's one of them but not sure which one just yet. I'll be home this evening and will try matching him up. Really hoping he's the old one.

First Pic looks like a typical 3.5yo.

Second Pic makes him look gaunt. Hopefully he fills out after eating acorns over the next month
It is either the angle (and night shot) or he could really be gaunt. I don't know how bad the drought was in Ohio, but over the last couple of weeks I've seen quite a few deer here in TN that have LOST weight and have the sunken in areas in front of their hams. Effects of the drought and limited natural food sources. I expect them to flush back out now the drought (in most parts of TN) is over.

It is either the angle (and night shot) or he could really be gaunt. I don't know how bad the drought was in Ohio, but over the last couple of weeks I've seen quite a few deer here in TN that have LOST weight and have the sunken in areas in front of their hams. Effects of the drought and limited natural food sources. I expect them to flush back out now the drought (in most parts of TN) is over.

I hope you're right and he puts some weight on. Drought was actually worse at my Ohio place than my TN, but this storm littered the ground with acorns of all sorts. I had several 3yr olds, a 4yr old, and bunch of younger bucks over summer and they looked fine but I also have water tanks and good browse. This buck just arrived mid month. No idea where he summered.

Back