• Help Support TNDeer:

decoys.

TheAirMan

I can't really figure something out. I read on here about people having success using decoys. I see on tv where a turkey will come in and attack a decoy and all the stuff they do. This is my eleventh season turkey hunting, I think. In those eleven seasons I have never once had a decoy help me. I can't say that I have ever had one hurt me but they have never helped. I don't use one every time but when I do they are usually ignored. I put them in plane view usually roughly around 25-30 yards out. Usually with the jake facing me and nothing. Sunday morning we had a strutting decoy and a hen out. There was a gobbler come out in the field gobbled and strutted and never really acted like they were there. If these things work, what am I doing wrong? I know they won't work every time and that it might depend on what mood the turkey is in or on the particular turkey itself. However, you would think after 11 seasons there would be one case where they at least seemed a little interested.

What can I say? My son says that the few times that he has used them, the results have been negative, like the turkey has run away. lol
However, I use them religiously, and every eastern that I have killed in modern times has been with some combo of dekes. Saturday, while experimenting, there is no question in my mind that I scared a gobbler with too many "gobblers" in my set. If for no other reason, IMO, dekes(HENS!) give the gobbler a sense of confidence, as in, hey, I hear a hen over there and there she is, so everything must be OK. However, I am learning, everything in moderation. What works for me is two feeding(at ease) hens.

Subordinate gobblers may be your biggest problem. A bird that has had its butt whipped for the last month ain't gonna come runnin in for a fight. I've also found that the smallest gobbler frame is the most effective, as far as gobbler decoys go.

outbackhunter2010 said:
since i have been using jake mobile and a feeding hen my thoughts on decoys have changed.i never use them in the woods but i always use them in the field late morning on and they see them and come running.they have knocked him over several times in the two years ive been using him.
I just bought a Renzo strutting jake, which is one-dimensional,and has the backside on both sides, the idea being that the gobbler can never make eye contact, and thus he circles into range. lol
The next chance that I can go is friday, and I can hardly way to try that with only one feeding hen. Like I said, for me two feeding hens work, but I have fun trying different things. I thought that I had bought everything that I could possibly buy, but your "jake mobile", killer B, or similar full bodied gobbler is probably next. And the beat goes on! lol

Bullfrog said:
Subordinate gobblers may be your biggest problem. A bird that has had its butt whipped for the last month ain't gonna come runnin in for a fight. I've also found that the smallest gobbler frame is the most effective, as far as gobbler decoys go.

x2

that is odd that it has not ever worked for you in 11yrs

doesn't really sound like you are doing anything wrong

it has worked for me several times and there is nothing better than to watch a gobbler come running in and flogging your decoy gobbling his head off the hole time

i just set mine up facing me at about 15 to 20 yards so that when the tom comes in he isn't making eye contact with my decoy until it's to late anyways

yesterday evening it did not work though when a 2yo bird come in and saw my killer-b, he ran away, guess he got his butt kicked before and didn't want any part of it again, if i had not had a decoy at all i would have been better off that particular time

Can't say that I have never seen them work, and can't say that I have never seen them spook birds. I rarely if ever use them, ever.

I have hunted for a long time now, almost 20 years, and grew up hunting where they were illegal, and then hunted around home where they were legal. Just never used them, and still don't now. It is just some other variable to deal with.

Now if I hunted small woodlot field birds I might be different, but hunting land that is either contiguous woods or woods with small food plots they are totally unnecessary IMO.

I have seen 17 birds die this season, and not one had a decoy in the equation, heck no decoy was even in anyones vest that was there.

Just don't need them if you hunt woods and small openings.

The thing is I hunt mostly field birds like you are talking about Setterman. There is not many good ways to get real close to them on the roost or at least not a good place to set up. We were hoping the decoy we put out Sunday would help bring them on in. Its not that I am really wanting a decoy to work. I just don't understand why they have never worked for me.

Try it without them, this gets tricky, but try going to where they usually hang out in the field. Many times it is points, or shady areas where they can strut in the shade. They also love depressions as well. Don't use a decoy and don't sit right on the edge of the field. Sit back about 15 yards inside the wood line so he has to come "look" for you. If you are on the field edge he can see where you should be and see nothing.

The biggest problem with field birds is they know they are visible, and know the hen should come to them.

I have success with them, by not hunting them at first light, and trying to slip in and find them in the afternoons after they have retreated from the heat of the fields.

All is tricky with field birds, generally it is a tougher game then woods running birds, just because of the visibility and their desire to never leave the field except to roost.

Good luck.

I use decoys routinely when hunting birds off the roost, but I'm hunting birds which pitch into fields right off the roost. It's very similar to duck hunting over decoys, often with birds pitching right into the decoy spread off the roost (but I usually set them up within sight of the roosted birds)

When hunting birds in 40-60 acre fields as I do, it's no problem calling them to within 100 yards without decoys, but it's almost impossible to get them to within 30 yards without a decoy.

A typical day for me starts with 3-4 decoys at first light on the roost, then I ditch all the decoys except for one hen for the rest of the day. I never use the hen when I get on a bird in the woods, but I do try to get her out when I'm trying to work a bird in from the opposite side of a large field.

But during the day, I'm so mobile and can't stand still for more than 15 minutes, so a large spread is just too cumbersome for the way I like to hunt. I don't mind sitting all day long deer hunting, but I just don't enjoy sitting in one spot turkey hunting, even if it means I'm missing out on 75% additional opportunities at turkeys.

Obviously, you want the decoys to look as realistic as possible, but I can't count the number of gobblers I've had flog, bump, and occasionally flat-out destroy my gobbler/jake decoys

I use at least on decoy on every hunt. Most of the areas I hunt a fields so they tend to help. Now the full strut decoys is a different story. It all depends on the birds you are hunting. I hunted the same farm two weekends in a row. The first time I think the full strut decoy kept the birds at a distance. Last weekend we set the full strut out with one hen decoy and the toms came off the roost and were looking for a fight. I had 8 toms come running two by two like they were getting off the school bus to fight. Smoked one at 15 yards. I just think it all depends on the mood they are in.

4onaside said:
outbackhunter2010 said:
since i have been using jake mobile and a feeding hen my thoughts on decoys have changed.i never use them in the woods but i always use them in the field late morning on and they see them and come running.they have knocked him over several times in the two years ive been using him.
I just bought a Renzo strutting jake, which is one-dimensional,and has the backside on both sides, the idea being that the gobbler can never make eye contact, and thus he circles into range. lol
The next chance that I can go is friday, and I can hardly way to try that with only one feeding hen. Like I said, for me two feeding hens work, but I have fun trying different things. I thought that I had bought everything that I could possibly buy, but your "jake mobile", killer B, or similar full bodied gobbler is probably next. And the beat goes on! lol
Contrary to my statement, of course, the Renzo decoy is two-dimensional, assuming you will allow the quarter inch, non-contributing, depth dimension to be ignored. I can't grasp the concept of anything being one-dimensional but maybe the advanced thinkers can think of something that is.....lol

If I'm in the woods I usually dont use a decoy. If I do its usually a on a dirt road that I know they can see from a distance.
I have had a new experience with my gobbler decoy this year. The last 2 birds I put down have been in the middle of a field without anywhere for me to set up. I used some small dips and rolls in the field to hide myself. The birds both times have been approximatly 75 yards from me. I tried calling but nothing doing. They didnt even gobble. Both times were late afternoon. So I decided to experiment a little. I took out my King Strut decoy w/a jake fan and stood up with the decoy covering my face. I used the lay of the land to hide my body. All they saw was the fan and decoy. The decoy looked like it was standing on the top of the hill. The first time 2 birds came running in when they saw him. I then slowly slid the bird back out of site on the other side of the hill and staked him in the ground. I had no where to hide so I just moved about 10 yards to his left and layed on my belly with the gun up. Bird came over the hill walking sideway in half strut. I yelped, he raised his head, bird goes down. Ten yards in front of me. He never saw me.

The next story is even better. Picture the same scenerio but these 2 Toms had about 10 hens with them. I could peak over the hill but they were just out of range. They were just strutting putting on a show. I called and nothing, again no gobbles at all. I then got King Strut out w/fan and stood again. I called, they looked but didnt care at all. This went on for about 1hr. I decided to tick them off so I pulled out a gobbler shaker call that I hardly have ever used. I stood up again with my decoy and hammered the shaker about 4-6 times. The 2 Toms came running. This time I laid directly behing my decoys fan on my belly with gun ready. 15 yards and bird goes down. It was my biggest yet. 11 inch beard 1.25 spur and 21 lb bird.
Its is not your usual Turkey hunt but it worked for me. I would prefer to sit call and they come in but sometimes you have to try new things. Just so happens it worked.

I put out a hen and a jake decoy yesterday. 2 jakes came in after some calling and whipped the poor jake decoy. I just sat and watched. I will hold off on them til next year.

bigasports said:
I put out a hen and a jake decoy yesterday. 2 jakes came in after some calling and whipped the poor jake decoy. I just sat and watched. I will hold off on them til next year.
"sitting and watching" is one of the biggest enjoyments of the sport. However,if I had been several times without any action, one of us would have not left the scene alive.
At my age, you can't count on "next year". lol

I couldnt agree more guys. Although I am saving my last tag to try and bag one with my bow. I have had my best year yet turkey hunting. I have been fortunate enough to tag out on 3 birds (Alot of luck involved) So if I get one more or not I am very happy with the season I have had. And Lord willing I will be back at it next year just as fired up as ever.

Latest posts

Back