• Help Support TNDeer:

Deep cycle already croaked

catman529

Replaced my deep cycle a little more than a year ago. Got another stowaway from academy. I left it in the charger fairly often, but not always. the charger will switch to a trickle when the battery is full to maintain it. I went to the lake this weekend, took the battery off the charger and put in the boat. It didn't even last a whole day before it was completely dead. Any ideas why it didn't last? I'm about to buy another one cause I'm headed to Dale hollow this coming weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is why I have gone to buying all my batteries from walmart.
Take it back and 9 times out of 10 you get a new one for free or if it does cost anything it is usually under $20.00.

Granted they don't last long but if it don't cost any more than that, in my opinion you can't beat it.
As to why it croaked, no telling.
Probably because it was a refurb battery with parts in it older than you are and was sold as brand new... like most are.

If you have the space you can parallel a couple of batteries for the trolling motor and get double the amp hours. Make sure your charger can handle both batteries though.

fairchaser":1zh3vc8p said:
If you have the space you can parallel a couple of batteries for the trolling motor and get double the amp hours. Make sure your charger can handle both batteries though.
I normally get plenty of time out of one charge. This battery has gone bad and won't hold a charge for half a day.

I get my deep cycle batteries at the Interstate Battery store. I buy their reconditioned batteries. Last year I got 2 Series 27 for $60 each. Granted they don't have any warranty but for that price if I get a year I got my money.

Have run the same 3 interstates in my bass boat for almost 5 years now with no problems. Boat mechanic told me to get them and keep them on charge when I'm not fishing. No problems so far, knock on wood. My flatbottom would flat eat Walmart batteries though, atleast 1 a year. And I rarely got out in it. Absolutely no idea why. Same process as my stratos, just different batteries.

catman529":elnmvlji said:
Replaced my deep cycle a little more than a year ago. Got another stowaway from academy. I left it in the charger fairly often, but not always. the charger will switch to a trickle when the battery is full to maintain it. I went to the lake this weekend, took the battery off the charger and put in the boat. It didn't even last a whole day before it was completely dead. Any ideas why it didn't last? I'm about to buy another one cause I'm headed to Dale hollow this coming weekend.

Pull the caps and check the fluid levels. If the lead core is exposed fill it with DISTILLED water. Charge the battery before filling, then again for awhile after filling. Should make it good as new, if that's the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Polar Kraft":3efqztgr said:
catman529":3efqztgr said:

Pull the caps and check the fluid levels. If the lead core is exposed fill it with DISTILLED water. Charge the battery before filling, then again for awhile after filling. Should make it good as new, if that's the problem.

I thought about checking that. I dont have time to test it out before my lake trip, but I can skip the core charge and buy a new battery, and top off the old one just in case it also works again. Then worst case I will have a new battery and best case I will have a new battery and also a backup.

catman529":1x8jsr32 said:
Polar Kraft":1x8jsr32 said:
catman529":1x8jsr32 said:

I thought about checking that. I dont have time to test it out before my lake trip, but I can skip the core charge and buy a new battery, and top off the old one just in case it also works again. Then worst case I will have a new battery and best case I will have a new battery and also a backup.
From the sound of it I would almost guarantee that it's the problem. If you can get to the interstate place on hwy 109 the refurb are worth the drive on savings. I've had one for 3 years

Charge them with a good 10-15 amp charger as soon as you can after discharging, make sure they stay full of distilled water as mentioned and you should be good to go. If not, you have a bad battery or too much load and need a second battery.

Could be the charger.Try a different one.Also buy batteries like buying milk.Freshest possible and they put the date on them..The stores that sell the most has the freshest!!!

Ruger. Went to Walmart and bought one. Date stickers on the batteries were 3/16 and 4/16 so I guess my battery is brand new. Also they only have a 1 year replacement now. Guess they realized they weren't making money off the 2 or 3 year. Autozone also has only 1 year as well. Hopefully I get a couple of years out of it though...will check the levels after charging it up and make sure it doesn't need to be topped off.

A boat MECHANIC told be never to buy walmart batteries. He said they were causing voltage regulators to burn up. He could've be telling a tale so he could sell his batteries tho.

wobblegobble":3s97qywx said:
A boat MECHANIC told be never to buy walmart batteries. He said they were causing voltage regulators to burn up. He could've be telling a tale so he could sell his batteries tho.

There are probably only 3 or 4 companies that actually manufacture batteries and they contract with any big player that wants his name on a battery. I don't believe for a minute that Walmart batteries are more prone to cause issues than an Interstate, a Die Hard or any other battery. Chances are they came down the same line at the plant.

wobblegobble":1b3i901i said:

You are probably 100% correct.

The more you discharge a battery the less it will last.
The longer you allow a battery to sit uncharged the less it will last.

This is why it is important to go "overkill" on your batteries. Always buy bigger than what you need and always charge them immediately.

Latest posts

Back