• Help Support TNDeer:

Did I waste the day hunting in the wind?

SignalG

I'm a first time poster, rookie turkey hunter. Killed my first one last week due to the sage advice on this forum--thanks to you all! LOVE this sport.

So-yesterday was in the field at dawn and hunted most of the day. It was very windy behind a front which dropped a couple of inches of rain so I ran ridges calling in to the leeward hollows, glassed the field edges, went to spots where I'd seen birds in the past--not one bird seen or heard all day. It was quite windy here in East Tn so I couldn't hear and neither could the turkeys I guess.

What strategies do you veteran turkey hunters do on a day when it's blowing 15-25 mph? Stay home? :-)

I hunted a known roosting area first. When that didn't work we checked the fields. I tend to see them most in fields during rain and windy weather. We were able to find 2 in a field and called them in for a double.

I generally see more when I'm on way home from hunting, lol. I'v noticed they tend to hug wind-shielding areas where the terrain allows in that type of weather, although they were in the fields where I was yesterday, just the wrong end.

Aside from the turkeys more likely being found in the fields during adverse weather IMO, I'd stay out of the woods when the wind was really blowing hard. Its dangerous. I have been in the woods when you could hear multiple limbs falling during sustained high winds. Not a good place to be.

I was shocked but the birds gobbled well all weekend around here, I would have never thought they would given the horrible weather. Sometimes they do the exact opposite of what you would think.

I called one in for a buddy yesterday, but it was mid day after the winds had calmed a lil, and he missed at 20 yards!!lol no wonder he has yet to kill one!. Sat morn we had decent luck with them gobbling on the limb but they got quiet after flydown.

Sunday was my best day ever. Should of killed 2 birds, but we messed up and got busted on one.

Called 3 in total with the wind blowing us off the top of the mountain.

We did get one at 11:15.....

Wind, rain, whatever the conditions, hunt. Usually on windy days, I myself like to cover a lot of ground, checking fields, calling more often, and louder. The birds are still there, and when it greens up,with a lot of wind, you can move really well on turkeys. Good luck and congrats!

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback to this whole group. I'll be out there right up until the end of the season. With more experience I can see it is possible to get a nice bird in any weather--That's encouraging since my days off work are when I get to go regardless of the weather. Dang work :-)

Latest posts

Back