• Help Support TNDeer:

Different specs between manuals ?

MUP

I've reloaded some .223 from the specs of the Speer manual, and the OAL is stated as 2.215 as tested. I looked in the Lyman manual and they call out 2.260 OAL...what the heck am I missing? That's a BIG difference! :eek: 55gr btw

KPH said:
It will also depend on what bullet is used being different shapes. There may be some other factors

What he said. A different ogive will cause the bullet to contact the lands at different lengths, even within the same weights. But remember, the COAL in manuals is really only a "suggestion" based on a SAAMI spec chamber.

The manuals are all printed on the safe side. OAL is suggested at a certain length because it is the safest, and feeds the best for all rifles. If a cartridge will feed reliably and give good accuracy that is the OAL you need to load at.

Every bullet is different. I think Berger bullets prefer to be crammed into he lands. Personally I prefer just off the lands. And what works in one gun may not work in another

hornaday bullet comparator

hornaday col gauge

as a rule i find .010 off is the ticket

every rifle and every bullet is different

advantages of seating out to land

improved accuracy
increased case capacity ( for those that tip the can)

disadvantages ( for some)
in short actions it may not fit in the magazine of the rifle
thus have a 2 shot rifle one chambered one on feed ramp

i have killed multiple ( 3 at a time) does like this heck even with a single shot

Im my rifles now i could care less what the col states in the book using the tools above i just check bullet to rifle and go from there

If you don't have the tools mentioned above you can seat a bullet on the long side and in a bolt gun you pull the shell in and work the bolt. If it closes tight or won't close at all keep running your bullet down. You can also look at your bullet and see the lands marks

redneck way: take a case fired in that rifle, slightly bend the case neck so it will hold a bullet firmly. Insert bullet but leave long, using a lighter or match, smoke the bullet till its coated in soot and slowly chamber and remove the round. You should see the land marks on the bullet. Repeat this procedure with a couple more cases and bullets and measure the lengths. This will get you the distance to lands. Some folks load at 10 off, I typically load at 5+ a tad.

Huntaholic said:
redneck way: take a case fired in that rifle, slightly bend the case neck so it will hold a bullet firmly. Insert bullet but leave long, using a lighter or match, smoke the bullet till its coated in soot and slowly chamber and remove the round. You should see the land marks on the bullet. Repeat this procedure with a couple more cases and bullets and measure the lengths. This will get you the distance to lands. Some folks load at 10 off, I typically load at 5+ a tad.

Yup, that's how I do it. A marker also works instead of smoke, and I have done it both ways. Make sure to do it several times and with a couple of different bullets to eliminate variables in ogive, etc.

Latest posts

Back