• Help Support TNDeer:

DIY Sharks!

rsimms

I am absolutely NO EXPERT, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I can give you some very simple tips on how to have great fun catching "DIY" sharks in St. Joe Bay, Florida. Read here: http://bit.ly/2yI5fgv

Attachments

• diy_blacktip.jpg
    diy_blacktip.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,106
Good article Richard. I have fished St. Joe bay every summer except this one for the last 7-8 years. I take my 16 foot SeaArk with my 25 Evinrude. We stay in a house Just across from the southern half of Pig island that has a dock. I read your article on speckled trout fishing as well because that is about all I do when I'm there. I have fished those flats on the bay side of Pig Island every year and have come to love that area. It is close to where we stay and the trout are plentiful. If you go back down there again, try getting a minnow trap and catching your own live pinfish. I have had tremendous success with those catching bigger trout.

I haven't tried the shark fishing there but have seen tons of sharks while fishing. Lots of blacktip, bull and nurse sharks. During the summer months when we are there I have been told that they are there for spawning and you see lots of them in the shallow water. It can be a little unnerving when a 8-9 foot bull shark swims right up to your boat in crystal clear waist deep water!

Where did you stay while you were down there? We stay in a unit called Bayhaven on the cape. You have to have a small boat to be able to get in and out at low tide but once you learn the route it isn't too bad.

Dbllunger":1w0s0l4y said:
Where did you stay while you were down there? We stay in a unit called Bayhaven on the cape. You have to have a small boat to be able to get in and out at low tide but once you learn the route it isn't too bad.

This time we stayed in a rental on Gulf side called "Aqua Essence." I have a friend who owns another place (rental) on Gulf side called "Gone Catchin'." We stay there sometimes. Another friend of mine owns a lot and a dock on inside of Pig Island, likely very close to where you stay. I just kept my boat there. 15-foot jon boat with a short shaft 20 HP motor. I could zoom in and out from behind Pig Island at high tide or low tide either one. It was frustrating that the week I was there high tide was always hitting between midnight and 3 am. I prfer fishing a rising tide but timing wasn't right for that. I was always fishing a falling tide in AM's.

Latest posts

Back