• Help Support TNDeer:

Dozen flies for Caney

tasaman

Ok. Stocking up my boys fly box and trying to keep things simple for him. This way he can learn his flies and when and why to use each. So far I have a few chosen that I know produce everywhere but we will mostly be fishing the Caney and other tailwaters. Here's my selection so far. I can add more midge patterns but would like to spice it up a bit. He likes Copper Johns but I've not done as well with them in tailwaters as much as other rivers. Probably give him one or two though. So what else do you all recommend?

1. Zebra midge in black and red
2. Elk Hair Caddis
3. Wolly buggers in black, white, and green
4. Pale morning dun
5. Pheasant tail nymph
6. Scud
7. Hopper
8. Blue Wing Olive

I wouldn't drive to the Caney without a few sow bugs in my box, probably second only to blackfly larva and emergers. June bugs, ants, and snails are known to work sometimes but I've never really used those much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Partridge and Orange soft hackle
2. Small white streamer
3. JuJuBee Midge (see Charlie Craven's Fly Box site)
4. Gray sowbugs
5. Orvis Magic Midge (easy to tie and really works when they are midging on top)

I'll be following this. A buddy is wanting me to come float the Caney with him this summer. It's been years since I've driven over there. He's been playing around with fishing hoppers the past couple years and has been catching some big fish with them. I've been using them around here and my results have been surprising. There's at least a couple hopper patterns in all my fly boxes now.

Latest posts

Back