• Help Support TNDeer:

DroomVanger rod review

TNReb

A lot of you have seen that Sniper makes rods. Some people are probably wondering what they get with a rod from him vs a retail rod.

I don't have any stake in Sniper's company or anything of that nature, but I wanted to provide my thoughts in case anyone is on the fence about ordering one.

Ordering a custom rod is a lot more than just getting a rod that looks pretty - more than just picking a color for the guide wraps and such.

I've ordered 4 rods from him, and thought I would give an overview of each one and the thought process that went in tothem.

Longer Flipping Stick
I wanted a longer rod for flipping 3/8 - 1/2oz jigs. I wanted it to balance well. I did not want something that was very tip-heavy. I chose a standard Fuji reel seat and Winn grips, a larger butt end, and micro guides. Sniper nailed the balance. I can flip all day with this rod. It has a lot of backbone with plenty enough tip to not be a broom handle.

Spinining Rod for light duty stuff
I wanted a rod that was light enough for ned rigs and small shakey heads, without being a complete noodle. I found it tough to find a retail rod that wasn't too fast, but still had some backbone to it. Sniper suggested microwave rod guides to help cast lighter lures more easily. He was right - it's excellent. I can easily fish lighter wire lures without having to worry about over-doing the hook set and ripping the hook out. I wanted to go with a cork grip, and Sniper really listened to me and got it perfect. I didn't want anything that tapered or had a bulge, etc.

"Normal" Jig Rod
I wanted a rod for tossing 3/8 and 1/2oz jig that wasn't as long as the original one I built. Something easier to work in tight spaces. Sniper helped me decide on a blank. I really wanted to try to make this rod as sensitive as I could. Sniper helped me choose the right guides, and we chose a reel seat that had some of the blank exposed. I believe it is more sensitive than any retail rod I've tried in the price range, and the balance and feel is exactly what I wanted - not something I just picked up off the shelf and had to get used to.

Jerkbait Rod
This is the one he's currently building for me. I wanted a rod that was about 6'9 for working jerkbaits and topwater poppers. He gave me a few options for blanks that would work well with the 1/2oz lures I would be throwing. He tossed out a couple of options for reel seats and grips. This rod isn't being built for sensitivity - because that isn't really needed in this type of rod. It's more of a budget rod that is going to have the exact weight/action/length/balance that I want. I had looked around for a long time and found a couple of retail rods that were going to be meet my requirements, but I was able to save about $50 by having Sniper build it. It will be exactly what I want - and picking your own colors is a bonus.

--------

Besides having a rod built the way you want, you will always have someone who can work on that rod for you. I snapped the tip off of one of the rods once. Sniper fixed it. The rods are well built also. I knocked my flipping stick in to the lake once in about 20ft of flooded timber and lost it. I went back a couple of weeks later when the water level had dropped, and I was able to find it. There was no rust or anything of the sort. I washed it down and it was as good as new.

These aren't sub-par rods. They are every bit as nice as a retail rod - they're better. There is so much markup in a retail rod, it's ridiculous. You know the Duckett rods that sell for $100? You would be amazed to find out what those blanks cost them. They're bought in bulk from China. Thinking of all of the machining, labor, shipping, marketing, etc. That's what you're paying for. Sniper doesn't have that overhead, and his custom rods beat retail hands down.

If you're thinking of a rod - reach out to him. You won't be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back