• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Drought insurance

megalomaniac

Here is a 5ac plot... the foreground is planted spring and fall (the green stripe is summer sorgham and millet missed by spray), but on the back hillside is native coralberry, blackberry, etc. We bushhogged the entire back hillside back in May, then bushhogged strips mid Aug. That gives me tender new growth by deer season, plus older growth/ browse/ cover.

If the 3.5 acres planted last Wednesday before a whopping 0.25in rain Saturday fail, at least I've got something for the deer to eat.

Manage your plots for variety as well as native browse as an insurance policy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240916_204850.webp
    Screenshot_20240916_204850.webp
    277.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Native fobs/browse is the weakest part of my habitat plan. Years like this really expose it too. Luckily I did a lot of cutting and clearing late winter for the purpose of generating soft new growth but it wasn't nearly enough to compete with this drought.

Native fobs/browse is the weakest part of my habitat plan. Years like this really expose it too. Luckily I did a lot of cutting and clearing late winter for the purpose of generating soft new growth but it wasn't nearly enough to compete with this drought.
Before this last rain, even my ragweed had dried up and died.

I have about an acre of green ragweed left in place as an experiment. I think the ground has been absorbing water from an adjacent creek because it's all green despite no rain for a month or more.

I have been really blown away at the amount of feeding i have seen in the ragweed this summer , i knew they liked it but seems to be more attractive this summer around my place for some reason.

I have been really blown away at the amount of feeding i have seen in the ragweed this summer , i knew they liked it but seems to be more attractive this summer around my place for some reason.
I'm not too far from you and they were hitting my ragweed pretty hard. That's a big part why I've left it standing, that and additional cover.

I'm not too far from you and they were hitting my ragweed pretty hard. That's a big part why I've left it standing, that and additional cover.
I really see them hit ragweed in late summer. The one plant that may out-perform ragweed on my place is pokeweed. They tear the snot out of that in August and September. Luckily, I've got a lot of it!

Latest posts

Back