• Help Support TNDeer:

Epic winter day

SilverFox

Yesterday was one of those days that I'll remember for a long time. It started out slow with only 2 decent keeper fish by noon. We pulled up to our 4th and final spot at 11:55 and I wasn't really expecting much but boy was I wrong. We started picking up a few right off the bat and Jeff caught 2 of what we call picture worthy fish so we stuck them in the livewell for a few minutes so we could get a pic against a backdrop none of his tourney competitors would reconize. About that time the wind switched directions and started coming from the SW and pretty dang hard... probably around 15 with gust of 20 or so. It was coming straight out the cove we were going into with a little break about 50 yards before it spilled into the lake. I told Jeff the fish should stack right on this break with all the current coming from back. I wasn't expecting the numbers of fish that would actually do this to be as high as they were... but man it was amazing. For the next 3 hours we boated around 50 fish and lost countless others. We would get 4 fish for a pic and sit down long enough to snap it and toss them back and fish some more. Our biggest was over 5 and as you can see we had a bunch over 3 and even tossed back several pic worthy fish because we didn't need any more pictures... we will never forget it even without pictures.

While we were fishing this point, The Outdoor Channel guys came in on our cove filming a show. They were fishing the opposite side of it and fished past us right on to the back. We never saw them catch a fish but they saw us whacking them. Looked like they were giving us the stank eye as the rolled past and left the cove. Wasn't long before a local Bassmaster Elite guy rolled up on us. We talked to him for a few minutes and he left to try the next cove down. He came back about an hour later and we were still catching them but it had slowed. We invited him into the mix but he never caught one. We had sore mouthed the lot I guess as we only caught 2 or 3 more after he got them. I joked he had stunk up the water in his Ranger boat! LOL By this time my GPS looked like and Etch-a-Sketch that was being run by a 3 year old with all the lines in that little area. We stuck around till almost 4 before we ran back down lake to load up and leave. Everything we caught came on a blade bait. We talked about changing over but neither of us could put it down.

That is a heck of a day. They wasn't custom painted buddies was they

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. We were both throwing different models of buddies but both were silver. I did catch one on a chartreuse buddy from another spot.

I lost one I'd put at 5 or a little better at the boat. Jeff had one hooked that he couldn't do anything with. I was trying to catch up with the trolling motor. He finally got him to where you could just about see him and he pulled off. You never know with the buddy if they will get foul hooked or not since some swat at it. If that fish was hooked in the mouth, it was a beast. It whipped his butt from one side to the other and from the back to the front of the boat stripping drag. Wish we could have see what it was.

Were you swimming or hopping the blades, if I may ask? Those are memorable days. I had a day like that on L Cumberland. You wish you could duplicate the day, and it just don't happen. Were they all largemouth?

Back