• Help Support TNDeer:

Every.Single.Spring.

I went yesterday knowing it would be tough, but even with the fronts you usually catch a few or have bites. It was my no wind day of the week so I went to Ky lake looking for crappie. Nothing, not even a bite. I fished from 24 ft water to 4 ft. I guess they were in 1-1/2 ft. Lol
I did not see anyone else catch a fish either. I believe if I remember correctly this is the first time in all my years I was completely zeroed in everything crappie fishing.Should have gone to Garrett, bet I could have caught something.

I had a trip planned with Stretch for Sunday through Wed of this week.
That is EXACTLY why we postponed it.
I'm going fishing Friday though, don't care if they bite or not.
I need to run my motor and double check that I am good to go.

Woodyard, a close friend of mine has a camp on KY lake, his dad had it and he now has it and they and some older fellows around their camp have been crappie fishing all over KY lake for MANY, MANY years. In their opinion, crappie fishing if basically done on KY lake. A couple of his friends who fish around Dover and have averaged limiting out most every time they go in the spring before they go on bed, have not caught a total of limit in the last 3 years. Their opinion is the Asian carp have killed the crappie fishing.

Headhunter":cqzkdx4u said:
Woodyard, a close friend of mine has a camp on KY lake, his dad had it and he now has it and they and some older fellows around their camp have been crappie fishing all over KY lake for MANY, MANY years. In their opinion, crappie fishing if basically done on KY lake. A couple of his friends who fish around Dover and have averaged limiting out most every time they go in the spring before they go on bed, have not caught a total of limit in the last 3 years. Their opinion is the Asian carp have killed the crappie fishing.

I would tend to agree with them. I have been fishing there for almost 59 years. Something is terribly wrong. Yesterday I told a couple of Yankees from Chicago that the lake was sick right now. They said it was bad last year for them. This is the first year in about 6-7 years I have really been interested in crappie fishing. I got burned out and basically only went a couple of times in the spring back then for a while, before that I went regularly. I have been hearing for two years how bad the crappie fishing has been and there have been public meetings, they lowered the limit and say the problem is the years class thing. The problem I see is where are the small fish. Ruger and I caught several on a trip last fall. Should be catching small ones now also. The guide reports haven't been good either and they have to kind of sugar coat it to keep clients coming. Bass fisherman have been having it tough also. It appears to me it is connected to the carp since the timing is about the same.

I own a lakehouse in blood river on ky lake and have numerous friends that are hardcore crappie fisherman that fish both blood river and big sandy. 3 years ago we had a record year. 2 years ago was average at best. Last year was one of the worst years we have ever seen. This year so far is not good, now the weather and water temps have had a huge part of this year. Im going for 3 days this weekend and go figure its a cold front. Many of my friends have either quit crappie fishing all together or are getting out of it slowly but surely. They all blame the asian carp.

Latest posts

Back