• Help Support TNDeer:

Excessive heat warning

megalomaniac

Forecast 116 deg heat indices today on the coast. Kids had friends spending the night last night, so no church today... so I decided to go fishing!

Went to the dark side and bought live croakers. Left the house at 330, launched the skiff at 545. Started fishing the tail end of the incoming tide. Picked up a 19in trout, a flounder, and then had something huge nail the croaker and head straight for Cuba. After 60s or so he broke my leader.

Fiddled around for another hour hitting spots without success.

Decided to go WAY back in the bayous (8in water) for reds, but never even spooked one.

Back out at 1130a for the start of the falling tide and caught a 18in speck, another flounder, and a solid 21in speck.

Called it at 1230, but I never got uncomfortably hot. Decent breeze to cool me. But I drank 5 bottles of water while fishing. Got home at 230, then cleaned fish, washed the boat and reels down, drank 4 more bottles of water. Finished everything up at 5p. Peed my morning coffee out at 7a, but didn't pee again until 5p. My belly looks bloated from how much liquid I drank today!

Not many boats out today, probably only a fifth of the number on Friday. I'm guessing the heat warning kept them inside.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230730_114202_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230730_114202_Gallery.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 56
Looks like great sight fishing conditions based on your picture!

I really enjoy your salty reports. Keep them coming!
Was perfect to sight fish reds way back in the bayous.... but dangit, I just couldn't find any. I thought I had the reds figured out, but the past 2 months has just been luck when I've stumbled into them. I know the population is way down in Louisiana, I'm starting to wonder if we have fewer reds this year on the MS coast as well.

My next trip is going to be the back bayous that are closer to the Pearl and usually mostly freshwater and filled with aquatic grass. This year the salinity has been through the roof, so Im guessing there will be more forage shrimp and minnows in that grass and the reds have followed. They certainly are not in the more salty bayous this year. I'm also not seeing near the numbers of blue crabs in the bayous this year compared to last year for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Back