• Help Support TNDeer:

Fertilizer

SALTMAN

Little off subject but involves the fish . 25-30 years ago when there were giant largemouth in Browns lake in NT state park there were man made square corrals , for lack of better description , that contained many sacks of what I was told was fertilizer ? They were used to enhance the fishing . Now I hear people talk abt fertilizer draining into lakes is causing die off . Does anyone have experience in the use of fertilizer in their lake ? I have a spring fed lake filling as I speak and don't want to try something I'm not sure of .

because the component that causes problems from farm runoff and sewage plants is excessive nitrogen. pond and lake fertilizers are balanced with more phosphorus and less nitrogen and potassium.

you need to contact your extension office and get some guidance and do some water tests. alkalinity, PH and other factors play a big part. if your lake is spring fed it may be that fertilizing may be a waste of time due to dilution.

good luck

it all depends on what your water is like. once full, take a sample and call your county extension office, or there are some reputable pond management companies out there. water is just like soil, it needs the proper PH and nutrients to support life.

Back