• Help Support TNDeer:

Filming. Hunts

southernhunter

Been thinking a lot about starting to try my hand at film some of my hunts . I know lots of u guys have Tryed it and would like your thoughts on it. The other day at the deer expo I also saw a thing to go on your bow so u could flim with your phone , has anyone Tryed that yet ?

I have a tree mount and a video cam.. I only use it if I easily can never risk anything for the cam... I mostly do it jus to show my buddies what I saw when I get back to camp or to get a good look at a questionable buck... Maybe one day I'll kill one on cam but it's extremely hard to work a cam and gun or now and keep an eye on the deer....

I have been videoing hunts for over 20 years.
Quality self filming your own bow hunt is probably one of the TOP most difficult things I have ever attempted.

It has cost me more than one deer. I finally realized after years of trying bow mounted cameras, helmet mounted cameras, tree mounted cameras (arms), and finally-tree stand mounted cameras, that is is extremely difficult, nearly impossible, to get good approach, zoom, shot, and follow up by yourself.

The new go-pro camera has promise, but zooming is still a problem as is screen monitoring.

Go-pro will definitely add some interesting angles and apps are always coming out for these tiny cameras.

But nothing beats a camera man. NOTHING.

I carry my video camera with me always. I film past up shots, borderline bucks, and lots of recoveries.

I also get footage of the one that got by out of bow range, not camera range. I have some impressive bucks on video. NONE of them did I ever see twice. Except the 150 inch that my buddy missed the evening before, on film, at 38 yards. We saw that buck again the next morning, at 23 yards, he missed it again.
(yes he was upset).

The fun thing about videoing is it just adds a new dimension to your field notes. I always review video from the year before and pick up some good tid-bits not noted in my field journal.

I have 5 DVD's from last season. I am on the second one now for review.

Good luck, have fun.

Luck for me I have a couple of buddy's that are interested , so that will help ,one of which is a computer nut and he is going to edit them and make DVDs , heck we may even send them off so we can get laughed at and told no way (lol)

Yep, me too. I did the same as did a couple other buddies on here.

But we had (and are having) a blast.

I had a couple of friends get interested in this also and started doing their own around 2006 or 2007.....stayed with it and now are part of the Drury's hunting team.......you never know what you can do until you try. :cool:

I have filmed quite a bit over the last 20 yrs myself and will agree that nothing comes close to having a good cameraman for quality footage. That being said, be prepared to have plenty of flops when trying to get good footage on every deer you have the opportunity to kill. Very often one or the other of you wont have what he needs when the other does!!
As for self filming, fun but dont expect too much!

What kinda camera are y'all using ?I am looking for just to gets started . I have a brand new, but turns the battery is only good for like 15 mins max .

Latest posts

Back