• Help Support TNDeer:

First club tournament of the year today

TNReb

Was sprinkling a little when we blasted off at safe light. About 15 minutes later that turned in to heavy rain.. and about 30 minutes later it turned in to a complete lightning storm.

I pulled up on a bank and sat in the woods for about an hour until there was a small break. Put it on the trailer and left. Most everyone was still out there fishing.

Radar shows no signs of letting up.

I'll deal with the rain, but not messing with the lightning.

I headed to the lake at lunch,wasnt to bad then.Rain and alittle thunder,but overall a nice evening.Was gonna go early but got up and cgecked weather and it didnt look good.

at 6am it was lightning so bad, it looked like 155 howitzer rounds were going off in my yard.
Thats what i saw at 4:30 when i got up to go,also checked weather and was showing a couple hrs of thunderstorms.Thats why i waited till midday to go,found a few female black crappie too.

We fished through it all day on Center Hill, it seemed like as the day went on the fish bit better, but thats about as much rain and lightning as I care to fish through.

Hybrids and stripers on Priest love thunderstorms. Worst (because of lightning) and best day (catching numbers and quality) I have ever had catching them was a few years ago. Most likely won't do it again and for sure discourage anyone else. A friend of mine and myself were fishing in a 12' john boat with a 1962 evinrude, 18 hp. It thundered, rained consistently the whole day and lightning was way more than we should have fished in. We were in the back of a cove at one point, under power lines, raining so hard you could not see a bone colored top water lure in the water until it got close to the boat, well when it go to the boat, most cast a hybrid would "eat" it before a couple cranks. We were catching a hybrid, big ones averaged close to 10 lbs each, almost every cast and few over 10 and every once in a while a striper from 15 to 20 lbs would hit. It was raining so hard at times it looked like it was getting dark in the middle of the day. Once lightning lit up the whole cove, I yelled at my buddy Marvin, that we were going to die. He set the hook and yelled back "at least I will die happy". Most likely won't do that again.

Latest posts

Back