• Help Support TNDeer:

First day of rifle season and you encounter a 170”+ deer.

What do you do???

• Total voters

Bushape

It is a situation where you are perfectly legal to take the shot (end of your porch, gate of your lease, etc. However, it's a deer you haven't scouted and you didn't even know existed and the situation in which you harvest this animal isn't actually hunting.

I'd shoot it, I do enjoy the drama playing out and the buck fever, but rifle opener is usually my last weekend in the woods since duck season opens the following weekend.

My biggest deer, personally, I never had any pics of. At least that I was aware of. I pulled the card after I killed him and he was there bedded in front of my camera 3 days before. Most people kill deer they had zero history with. Mainly due to them showing up during the rut. I chose not to even run a camera this season, so I will have zero history with any of the deer I see except for 1 buck I may or may not have past pics of. And that to me is hunting. The very essence of woodsmanship and setting up according to the terrain and sign. That's exactly what I used to do on my hunts out of state. Boot leather is hunting. Planting food plots and setting up cameras and waiting for those deer to return is deer farming. Not that I don't believe that it doesn't take lots of effort, it does. And I respect people who choose that. So shooting a deer from the gate on my hunting land. Absolutely.

It is a situation where you are perfectly legal to take the shot (end of your porch, gate of your lease, etc. However, it's a deer you haven't scouted and you didn't even know existed and the situation in which you harvest this animal isn't actually hunting.
Sure it's hunting! That buck could have been 3 miles from there 10 hours earlier and be 3 miles away in another 5 hours. They roam.

Latest posts

Back