• Help Support TNDeer:

Fish measuring tape decal on a boat?

woodyard

Anyone have a measuring tape decal on their boat that stays stuck and works ? I had some on the old boat that stuck good ,but I think they were ones that marinas or other business that had made them. Looking to buy one or two , but not too impressed with the reviews. It is going on fiberglass that is not glass smooth. Any preferences or ideas?

I might need one for ruger to measure a trout. :D

woodyard":sbyh4bo5 said:
Anyone have a measuring tape decal on their boat that stays stuck and works ? I had some on the old boat that stuck good ,but I think they were ones that marinas or other business that had made them. Looking to buy one or two , but not too impressed with the reviews. It is going on fiberglass that is not glass smooth. Any preferences or ideas?

I might need one for ruger to measure a trout. :D

You may not be able to get one that will stick to a surface that isn't smooth. You could try marking (or painting) some measurements on a seat or similar flat surface. I've done that. I just mark certain lengths like 10, 14, 18 inches - the ones that apply to most fish.

A lot of those stickers will shrink over time due to sun and moisture.
The flat metal tournament boards will save you some possible headaches.

I have a metal yardstick for any official measuring. I just want a sticker that would be handy to hold one up to on the side of the boat quickly and release them. From what I have read they stick and hold for years or may not stay on two weeks or they stretch on installing or shrink after being in the sun. I quess one that shrinks would be good for bragging rights . And it needs to be longer than ruger's cooler. :D

Mudbone":8zeaxntp said:
I've just screwed a golden rule to the floor of my boat close to the live well.
X2 on the golden rule. No need to take a chance on a short fish if you plan on keeping them.

A dollar bill is about 6 inches long. Makes for a rough measuring device that almost everyone has with them. A credit card is about 3 inches,. Works in a pinch if nothing else is around, might get you in the ball park . When in doubt or if it's close. Catch and release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been thru several tape measures that get kicked around, lost or get rusty and break. Finally just put 3 pieces of tape on the side rails of boat. 2 of the pieces are 50" apart for minimum Musky length and the 3rd piece of tape in the middle is 24" for Browns.

7mm08":2a0fxfju said:
SOUTH CAROLNA DNR supplies boaters with both fresh and saltwatern tapes every time there is a change so there is no excuse. BTW it's free
PS 6 guys fishing that day. ALL on flies

Yep - you go in any Wal-Mart, West Marine, Ace Hardware, etc & they have stacks of them.
I'm going back down in a couple weeks - if anyone in the Knoxville area wants one - PM me & I'll bring back a stack.
I can say from 25 years experience, these stick to anything. They change color every year or so - I think the current scheme is navy w/ white lettering.

Back