• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing at Hilton Head

Chinquipin

I heading to hilton head next week. Any tips on fishing? I have never been before, but what I've saw there seems to be no pier or anything. Do any of you have any fishing advice for the area? Thanks

Hey I did some inshore kayak fishing there last October and started to really figure things out near the end of my trip. Plenty of redfish and speckled trout around the area and there is a place where you can rent a fishing kayak for the day, I believe it was called Outside Hilton Head. PM me and let me know where you're staying, I can give you some good info regarding tides and inshore fishing.

MidTennFisher":sojq56e6 said:
Hey I did some inshore kayak fishing there last October and started to really figure things out near the end of my trip. Plenty of redfish and speckled trout around the area and there is a place where you can rent a fishing kayak for the day, I believe it was called Outside Hilton Head. PM me and let me know where you're staying, I can give you some good info regarding tides and inshore fishing.

I did a search before I posted and saw where you had posted. Will PM thanks

Me and the family spent last week in Hilton Head. I didn't take a rod with me but my wife talked me into buying one when we got there. I bought some 3" white and chartreuse gulp shrimp and quarter ounce red jig heads. To make a long story short, I caught a ton of flounder and a few specks. I brought home two gallon freezer bags of fillets. There is a creek that flows to the ocean about a quarter mile north of Hilton Head Resort. There is a rock wall that parallels the end of the creek all the way to the ocean. An hour and a half before and after high tide, you want to be there. At high tide go towards the end of the rocks and cast toward the ocean. When the tide is low, you can walk up the creek and catch flounder in the deeper holes. Check it out on google earth. It's the only creek that flows into the ocean on that side of the island. Can't miss it. Sorry I couldn't be more precise with my report.

SES":3casgbi5 said:
Me and the family spent last week in Hilton Head. I didn't take a rod with me but my wife talked me into buying one when we got there. I bought some 3" white and chartreuse gulp shrimp and quarter ounce red jig heads. To make a long story short, I caught a ton of flounder and a few specks. I brought home two gallon freezer bags of fillets. There is a creek that flows to the ocean about a quarter mile north of Hilton Head Resort. There is a rock wall that parallels the end of the creek all the way to the ocean. An hour and a half before and after high tide, you want to be there. At high tide go towards the end of the rocks and cast toward the ocean. When the tide is low, you can walk up the creek and catch flounder in the deeper holes. Check it out on google earth. It's the only creek that flows into the ocean on that side of the island. Can't miss it. Sorry I couldn't be more precise with my report.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out!

The island I mentioned definitely holds fish but so does every square inch of marsh in that area. If you're willing to do the paddling you can get away from high pressured areas and have a lot of fish around you. I actually am going back next week so if you see a lime green kayak say hi. I may very well make this my yearly saltwater yak fishing destination. I am so pumped up for this trip!

FYI - Check the tide/moon tables. The weekend of June 4-5 has a new moon which is fantastic for fishing but also causes stronger tide changes. Please be careful as to not get stranded. Do not be in a kayak or any type of watercraft way up in the marsh coves on a falling tide. Before you know it you'll be sitting in mud. Go as far back as you can get on an incoming tide and you'll be able to sight fish for reds and specks making their way back in. On outgoing tides hang around the deeper spots going back into the main canal, this is called an "apron" for some reason. That's where the fish will be posted up waiting to ambush crabs and shrimp being pushed out by the strong tide current. Hope this helps and I hope you catch a lot of fish, just not my fish :tu: I hope to return with several limits of fillets.

Just to give you an idea of how strong those tides are out there. One time I was up in the canal at the island I mentioned to you on a falling tide. I located a school of active seatrout so I dropped a 3 pound anchor from my kayak and wanted to stay in place. I looked upstream and noticed a mud line from where the current was pushing my kayak out. The anchor slowed it down but wouldn't hold in place. Those tide swings are serious!!

MidTennFisher":50xyvzst said:
The island I mentioned definitely holds fish but so does every square inch of marsh in that area. If you're willing to do the paddling you can get away from high pressured areas and have a lot of fish around you. I actually am going back next week so if you see a lime green kayak say hi. I may very well make this my yearly saltwater yak fishing destination. I am so pumped up for this trip!

FYI - Check the tide/moon tables. The weekend of June 4-5 has a new moon which is fantastic for fishing but also causes stronger tide changes. Please be careful as to not get stranded. Do not be in a kayak or any type of watercraft way up in the marsh coves on a falling tide. Before you know it you'll be sitting in mud. Go as far back as you can get on an incoming tide and you'll be able to sight fish for reds and specks making their way back in. On outgoing tides hang around the deeper spots going back into the main canal, this is called an "apron" for some reason. That's where the fish will be posted up waiting to ambush crabs and shrimp being pushed out by the strong tide current. Hope this helps and I hope you catch a lot of fish, just not my fish :tu: I hope to return with several limits of fillets.

Just to give you an idea of how strong those tides are out there. One time I was up in the canal at the island I mentioned to you on a falling tide. I located a school of active seatrout so I dropped a 3 pound anchor from my kayak and wanted to stay in place. I looked upstream and noticed a mud line from where the current was pushing my kayak out. The anchor slowed it down but wouldn't hold in place. Those tide swings are serious!!
3 lb anchor? Lol no wonder you wouldn't stick. Try a thirty foot deep channel in the shallow backcountry on outgoingin tide in key west while spear fishing!! Haha you'll end up out in the ocean a mile away from the boat in ten minutes hanging on to the fish you've shot. Got the tshirt. Can't wait to get back

[

FYI - Check the tide/moon tables. The weekend of June 4-5 has a new moon which is fantastic for fishing but also causes stronger tide changes. Please be careful as to not get stranded. Do not be in a kayak or any type of watercraft way up in the marsh coves on a falling tide. Before you know it you'll be sitting in mud.
[/quote]

If you happen to see a sunburned redneck stranded and crying please send help, lol

Chinquipin":17r82bxo said:
I heading to hilton head next week. Any tips on fishing? I have never been before, but what I've saw there seems to be no pier or anything. Do any of you have any fishing advice for the area? Thanks
Well, how'd it go in Hilton Head?

I hope you did well! I have some redfish on the half shell in my freezer waiting to be cooked! Not a seatrout in sight, couldn't find a single one. I'll post a more detailed report when I get a chance.

Thanks guys. I honestly didn't put a hook in the water! All week was spent playing and doing whatever my 3year old wanted to do. I had intentions of fishing at least one day but decided not too. Had a great trip though! Glad you had a successful trip midtennfisher!

I just now saw this thread - I was a part time fishing guide in Hilton Head (inshore & offshore) for several years until 2011
Hopefully you got on them - Sea Trout bite goes off in mid-Oct, Redfish are available year round

Back