• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing/Camping Trip

diesel920

Hi All,

I am a relatively new Knoxville-area resident. Me and a buddy are thinkin about taking a couple days around the 4th of July and going on a little camping/fishing trip. Being new to the area I was looking for some advice.

Does anyone have any good ideas for that time of year? I've thought about heading east to the mountains and going after trout. (I'm not a very experienced trout fisherman so it would be...an adventure. :pray: )

Another option I've rolled around is heading up to Big South Fork and going after bass/cats/etc.

Any experience or input anyone has on these kind of trips would be great. Thanks in advance!

diesel920":1fzhixg2 said:
Hi All,

I am a relatively new Knoxville-area resident. Me and a buddy are thinkin about taking a couple days around the 4th of July and going on a little camping/fishing trip. Being new to the area I was looking for some advice.

Does anyone have any good ideas for that time of year? I've thought about heading east to the mountains and going after trout. (I'm not a very experienced trout fisherman so it would be...an adventure. :pray: )

Another option I've rolled around is heading up to Big South Fork and going after bass/cats/etc.

Any experience or input anyone has on these kind of trips would be great. Thanks in advance!

Both of the areas you mentioned are very rugged. I wouldn't set foot in any of those streams without felt soled boots. The plateau streams seem like they are lined with snot-covered bowling balls. Beautiful places to fish, but brutal wading. I don't know that I'd consider BSF catfish water either, but it's good smallmouth/rock bass fishing. The mountains will have very limited warm water fishing, so weigh what you want to catch too. Also, be on the lookout for rain- you'll basically be fishing in canyons, and a thunderstorm that hits upstream can send a torrent down on you in a hurry. I'd recommend taking a couple day trips beforehand to get the lay of the land first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson":2p6xd0pm said:
diesel920":2p6xd0pm said:
Hi All,

Both of the areas you mentioned are very rugged. I wouldn't set foot in any of those streams without felt soled boots. The plateau streams seem like they are lined with snot-covered bowling balls. Beautiful places to fish, but brutal wading. I don't know that I'd consider BSF catfish water either, but it's good smallmouth/rock bass fishing. The mountains will have very limited warm water fishing, so weigh what you want to catch too. Also, be on the lookout for rain- you'll basically be fishing in canyons, and a thunderstorm that hits upstream can send a torrent down on you in a hurry. I'd recommend taking a couple day trips beforehand to get the lay of the land first.

Good advice for you right there. I've fished the Smokies for years, but never did a backcountry camping trip. Do a little research on a Hazel Creek trip. It's on my list.

Thank you both for your input. I'm definitely doing my research. I'm looking into hazel creek. Does anyone have any other streams over in the smokes that may be productive that time of year?...without giving away any secret honeyholes of course...or go ahead and give them away. I'm all ears. ;) :lol:

diesel920":o2f4yaid said:
Thank you both for your input. I'm definitely doing my research. I'm looking into hazel creek. Does anyone have any other streams over in the smokes that may be productive that time of year?...without giving away any secret honeyholes of course...or go ahead and give them away. I'm all ears. ;) :lol:

Make sure you check the regs. The NP is single hook lures only and no live bait or power bait type products. Check out the Cherokee NF too.

Latest posts

Back