• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing Gratuity

DISLOSURE: I'm a guide. I won't weigh in any amount.

The only thing I will say is please tip based upon the level of service and effort... not on the number of fish caught.

Did they work hard to be sure you had a safe, successful, enjoyable and pleasant time on the water... and have a good attitude while they did it, regardless of the number of fish caught, or not caught?

We chartered a boat out destin last year and caught 2 keeper fish.. about 12 inches long.... that was it other than a couple of out of season trigger fish..I still tipped 20%.. it wasn't their fault that the fishing sucked that day...

rsimms":19i5ifcx said:

The only thing I will say is please tip based upon the level of service and effort... not on the number of fish caught.

Did they work hard to be sure you had a safe, successful, enjoyable and pleasant time on the water... and have a good attitude while they did it, regardless of the number of fish caught, or not caught?
^^^^
This very much!!
The captain can't control the bite but he can do his best to make sure everyone has fun and is comfortable catching em or not.
No captain/guide wants their clients to go home empty handed or even more so unhappy.
I tip accordingly to how much effort I see.

rsimms":2g4r2h9i said:

great advice. the guide we use goes through a marina which means the marina gets quite a chunk of the cash I'm sure. we fish for Tarpon and do well but it's only my wife and I and the trip is $800.
trying to find a ballpark area. last year I gave $200, even though it was awesome, we are not rich or well off and my wife thinks that is way over board.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER":meyvset1 said:
I have never been on a fishing trip,shouldn't the price you pay cover the tip,or do these deck hands work separately,just curious

I worked as a mate a couple of times on a 42' Hatteras out of Panama City back in the 90's. Back then we worked for tips only. I've always assumed that it's still the same.

Back