• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing report from the White River

moondawg

I did my annual camping/fishing trip with my uncle, my dad and brothers and some of their buddies this past weekend. I went up on Wednesday. Some others were there Monday, and others trickled in during the rest of the week.

We camped at Bull Shoals State Park, just across from the boat dock. We've been doing this for years. Many of the guys in our group routinely catch fish there. I usually don't have much luck there, but it's still fun to go fishing. Otherwise, I'll also fish the Norfork (I've always done well there) or Crooked Creek.

Thursday: It was 82 degrees...a week before Thanksgiving. :shock: There was also a LOT of wind that day, as a front was moving in the next day. I was going to try some Trout Magnets that I had bought at Bass Pro the day before. And my old standbys--roostertails and grubs. I was using a different setup this time, I was using 2# fluorocarbon line instead of my usual 4#. My hope was that the lighter line would help cast the lighter lures better.

Well, I have to say I didn't fish very long, maybe an hour or so. I had a few bites with the Trout Magnets. I got a bit impatient, so I switched to curly tailed grubs. All while enduring gusts of wind. :shock: I got out to waist deep in the water, and there were a few waves in the river...like being in a small ocean. My line would get tangled up, which led to frustration. After a while of getting beat up in the open river, I went back to camp. Some of the other guys who had been out fishing--and guys who routinely catch fish--said they gave up as well. They didn't catch anything either. It was so warm that we took refuge under the shade of my Uncle's RV awning for a while.

Friday: It monsooned rain. And got colder during the day. it was my day to cook supper that night (bangers and mash with irish soda bread!), so i didn't fish. But the guys that went fishing didn't catch much, if anything at all. And it was WINDY that day too.

Saturday: Didn't fish much due to a hangover. Heh heh. :oops: But it was also cold and windy that day as well. But not as windy as the previous two days. But it was noticeably colder. I don't think anyone went fishing that day...if they did, they didn't say that caught anything.

Sunday: we packed up and left. No fishing.

We did noticed they did NOT generate that much while we were there...which is usually not the case. The water was low this time around. Usually it's just the opposite and not conducive for wade fishing.

Either way it was a fun weekend. Sure beat being at work!

We noticed when we were over at the end of Ocrober there were hardly any fish being caught when we ran up to the dam area. The few caught looked to be little stockers. Also we didn't see any fish , which you can usually do drifting in that water.

I think there is just too much fishing pressure up on that end of the river. Boats were everywhere the day we ran up there. It has been a nice fall period with good weather and lots of people out fishing.

We did most of our fishing from Stetsons downriver and did pretty good. Caught the Browns down there and saw several more holding on the gravel.

At least you had a nice place to camp.

woodyard":3ob9pf5b said:
We noticed when we were over at the end of Ocrober there were hardly any fish being caught when we ran up to the dam area. The few caught looked to be little stockers. Also we didn't see any fish , which you can usually do drifting in that water.

I think there is just too much fishing pressure up on that end of the river. Boats were everywhere the day we ran up there. It has been a nice fall period with good weather and lots of people out fishing.

We did most of our fishing from Stetsons downriver and did pretty good. Caught the Browns down there and saw several more holding on the gravel.

You bout ready to go back?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

RUGER":2i6zuc0e said:
woodyard":2i6zuc0e said:

You bout ready to go back?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
I stay ready to go over there ,but my wife and job don't stay ready for me to go. :lol:
I am in the middle of this deer hunting thing now and don't know why I just don't shoot one instead of wating for that "better one" I got on camera.

Back