• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing the caney need advice

Bobyote

I been there many times but am looking for a chance at a trophy brown,rainbow, or Brooke. I've fished from the dam to Betty's island in a canoe many times. My buddy has a jet boat so should we put in further down or where should we start we r going during the week so hopefully less traffic on the river?

stealth and larger baits. Big fish are spooky. Be ready to mix up long casts, light line, and larger baits. Thats not to say you cant catch big fish on small baits, a buddy of mine has caught many large trout on a tiny midge but this advice is for spinning tackle. There are a couple guys on here that do well throwing husky jerks for big browns. From what I can gather, boat placement, stealthy approach and getting the bait in the right spot are key.

Opinions are mixed and probably have as much to do with generation as anything.
I have seen some huge trout right by the dam, but guys who seem to catch them regularly swear by putting in at Bettys and floating down from there.

There probably is no wrong answer.
Good luck! I hope you get a big one and post some pix !

If your goal is a trophy I think two of the biggest factors on the Caney are generation and low light, it helps to have one if not both of these. The section of the river varies depending on the time of the year. Summer I would say below Betty's has a better chance but there are still big fish above it too you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

I appreciate the help fellas! I'll post some pics if we get a good one! Has anyone been catching any Brookies or eating size fish below Betty's- my buddy has never been trout fishing so I want him to catch something - I usually can catch a lot of fish from the damn down drifting trout magnets or worms....

Latest posts

Back