• Help Support TNDeer:

Fly fishing advice

Jon

Guys,

I have been fishing the Caney Fork with rod, reel and bait for 30 years. I have decided to try fly fishing for trout. I always catch and release, I don't care for eating fish so I have decided to take up fly fishing for the challenge. I am going to be there for the next couple weeks on vacation. Can you guys recommend some good flies to use this time of the year? I was just planning on trying a black wooly booger to start with but would really appreciate your suggestions for a beginner.

Thanks,

Jon

Zebra midges in various colors size 18 and smaller will catch fish all year. Scuds and sow bugs are usually pretty plentiful so those patterns do well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't fly fish, but my brothers and my dad do. Black or olive wooly buggers seem to come up as a common fly to use.

I'd also say just use whatever you have. You never know, it just might work!

Pinwheeled":3cfwisr4 said:
Zebra midges in various colors size 18 and smaller will catch fish all year. Scuds and sow bugs are usually pretty plentiful so those patterns do well also.
^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^ with a grasshopper as an indicator.

I always take two fly rods: a 10 ft 5 wt rigged with floating line and an indicator for nymph fishing. The other is an 8 ft 6 weight for streamers. ALWAYS use sinking or sink tip line if you want to catch more and bigger trout. If they aren't generating, use a sink tip line (10 ft sinking is enough) type III or VI. If they are generating, or you're fishing the deeper pools, use a full or 20 to 25 ft sinking of 200 grain (5 to 6 inches per second sink rate). I catch the vast majority of my trout on a Size 4 Wooly Bugger. I start with white, which allows me to watch the fly during the whole retrieve, and I often see trout following it or watch them attack the fly. If they don't hit the white, I switch to Olive and then to Black. I catch the most on the colors in the order I listed them.

If you've never used a sinking line, don't be intimidated. It only took me a few casts to get used to it. Cast it at a 45 degree angle upstream, count to 5 or ten( depending on current speed or depth, as a bend forms in the line as it drifts downstream. Then retrieve it in small strips while twitching the rod tip. Vary the depth and speed of retrieve until you find what the fish like. Also, don't use a long leader with sinking line. Three or four feet of 10 to 12 lb flourocarbon line (I use regular Vanish) is fine.

For nymphs, they fish may switch off from one fly to another on any given day. I usually catch them on one of these: Zebra Midge, Prince, Scud, Orange or Red Soft Hackle wet fly, or Pheasant Tail.

Latest posts

Back