• Help Support TNDeer:

Fly fishing on the Clinch river

WTM

anywhere i can get some info on public access points to try a little fly fishing? maybe some fly shops nearby to get some info on fishing? i imagine most of it is private land?

anyway, my son is back that direction now and a lot of my wifes people live up that way so i thought i might try my hand at the trout fishing thing before my body finally gives out in a few years and wont be able to. i wish now i had gotten started 30 years ago.

thanks mick, i found a little info on the region 4 site and with a little further searching found some real good info. my worry was wading and unintentional tresspassing but it says as long as you stay in the bed under the high water mark its ok.

i remember my wife's uncle and aunts owned property along the Clinch so i will give my FIL a call as well.

If you haven't already done it, the first thing you need to do is get the free TVA Lake Info app that will give you the generation schedule. The dam to check for the Clinch is Norris. If they are generating much at all, wadng won't be possible and you will need to be in a boat.

From what I have been told, they have been generating fairly strong in recent weeks, and wading opportunities have been limited.

Second Baptist Church of Clinton, and the jail is on the opposite side of the large parking lot. That is a good access area. On the Clinch, pay attention to the generation schedule. Also, google how long it takes the water to rise and recede at the different access points. Anything other than 0 generation is dangerous to wade, IMO. I always hear to fish midges, but we do pretty good on an olive Wooly Bugger.

yeah i use that app for KY lake for bass and catfish. looks like they are generating about the same times this summer, probably due to the 100 deg weather. i will probably try it for the first time in the fall sometime, maybe after they bring Norris down to winter pool?

anyway thanks for the input, maybe i can catch 1 trout, lol.

Also plenty of access point below the dam. Norris Dam is a state park. start there and work your way down. I live 5-10 mins away from the dam and a mile from Second Baptist Church and could give you a tour if you decide to visit!

Daddybucktn":f6tudfn5 said:
Also plenty of access point below the dam. Norris Dam is a state park. start there and work your way down. I live 5-10 mins away from the dam and a mile from Second Baptist Church and could give you a tour if you decide to visit!

very nice of you thanks. one of my wife's aunt lived on the corner right passed the bridge in clinton, i never did have time to fish it when i lived there 30 years ago, college in day and worked in loudon at night.

Latest posts

Back