• Help Support TNDeer:

Fly fishing

J.W.308

Looking to start fly fishing and have no clue what all is needed other than fly rod and flies . So y'all that fly fish what do you carry with you ? Net ? Flies ? Any other gear ?

I do carry a net but I try to keep my gear to a bare minimum. Obviously a assortment of flies, extra leaders and tippet material and strike indicators. I also have dry fly dressing and a pair of snips. If your vision is like mine you'll need something for tying small diameter line. Everything I carry fits into a extremely small chest pack. A lot of fly fishers are into gadgets and gear but you really don't need much. I try to keep it as light and basic as I possibly can. Most of my fishing is in the mountains on wild streams hiking and wading so I don't like to have a lot of "stuff" with me.

I despise nets

I am super minimalist and carry a few flies, some tippet and some indicators. Around here you just don't need much.

Buy a rod/reel, some leaders, some flies, some indicators, nippers, forceps, waders if you're on thentailwaters, felt boots, do not get duped by the rubber sole bs, and you're pretty much set

CATCHDAWG":3rs0v5xe said:
^^^ I just assumed that waders and boots were a given. But the felt soled boots vs rubber is a excellent point. Nothing compares to felt!

Until you try to climb a muddy bank in felts!

Find a local fly shop and they should be able to recommend flies, etc to get set up.

Also be careful if you plan to travel to other states. I know Missouri has made felt soles illegal due to invasive species of algae. I wear a fly vest and keep an assortment of items I don't need, but hemostats, some kind of snips and a small fly box are all I need. The hemostats and snips should be on small reels that attach to your vest so you can't drop them

Btw, let us know where you'll be fishing and no doubt we can recommend the flies you'll need.

Not sure where you live but the folks at Flysouth in Nashville are amazing. Best fly shop in the country hands down

MickThompson":2lzxbixa said:
CATCHDAWG":2lzxbixa said:
^^^ I just assumed that waders and boots were a given. But the felt soled boots vs rubber is a excellent point. Nothing compares to felt!

Until you try to climb a muddy bank in felts!

I agree but I'd rather slip on a muddy bank vs a 20' waterfall or falling face first in turbulent water with waders on.

I can't really add much that hasn't already been mentioned. I'd keep it simple, especially since you'll just be getting started. I'm not sure what you plan to fish for, but don't overlook fishing for bluegills. Get a handful of small poppers, and learn how to tie on a dropper. It's not only a great way to practice your casting, but you can practice your catching at the same time. I fish for bream a lot in middle TN. I normally have the best luck with white poppers and I use a Pat's Rubber Leg as my dropper. I tie my flies, so I tie the Pat's without weight so it falls slowly and pretty much all species of fish can't resist it.

Keep it simple and have fun.

Been gone for awhile and I am laying around today recovering from the flu thought I would check things out on TNDEER. Saw the felt, no felt argument. Felt soles are illegal in a lot of states. I don't use felt and haven't for over 10 years or more. I did find something in Alaska this year which is great. Yaktrax. You can slide them over your boots before you get in the water and then off to hike, or get into your boat, or in this case your pontoons on your float plane. And, yes. KISS KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID as far as equipment. You don't have to have a $1000 flyrod to catch a fish. Buy the cheaper brands i.e. TFO and learn to cast before you drop some real dough on a rod.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ENvSg8ajnno

PS. Save your money, retire and go to Katmai peninsula one day to have an incredible flyfishing experience.

Latest posts

Back