• Help Support TNDeer:

Fly Rod Combo

gtk

Staff member
I stumbled across a fly rod/reel yest, and bought it for $80. Anyone have any input on this combo? Its a cabelas rls+ reel, rls rod, 5w 9', 4 piece and came with a hard case and line.

i can't find any info on the rls rod, but the reel seems popular.

i have no idea what line is on it. i bought a new tapered leader for it, and started buying a few flies. The trout are on fire right in a couple of streams up in the mountains.

i feel like an idiot when it comes to "what to use". I had no idea there were so many diff flies and you have to "match the hatch". Friends told me just to get some "copper johns" and "wooly buggers" and start with those. Also told me to get an indicator. I"m used to catching trout with power bait or rapala's.

Go see JIm Mauries at Fly South. I bought some line from him for my fly rod and it was unbelievable how much better it performed with the line he sold me.

the fly line may still be usable. unspool it and give it a stretch to get the coil memory out some then look for dirt rings or cracks in the line. if you dont see any its probably still usable. tie on your leader, and a piece of practice yarn and see how it casts.

gtk":1z009d4w said:
i have no idea what line is on it. i bought a new tapered leader for it, and started buying a few flies. The trout are on fire right in a couple of streams up in the mountains.

i feel like an idiot when it comes to "what to use". I had no idea there were so many diff flies and you have to "match the hatch". Friends told me just to get some "copper johns" and "wooly buggers" and start with those. Also told me to get an indicator. I"m used to catching trout with power bait or rapala's.

As far as what to use most fly shops will be very helpful with what to use, I have had good luck with midges, and elk hair caddis in Colorado, but I have only fished during October and near Glenwood Springs, and on Grand Mesa.

Just so you know fly fishing for trout is very addictive.

GTK ..... turn from the dark side! Ha!

Get a few Copper John's size 12-14 Or CADDIS nymphs same size and and a few Thing -a-ma-bobbers( the kind with the little screw in lids) place that bobber about equal distance from the fly the depth of the water. Cast upstream or quartering above, and hang on.

Buggers and streams cast quartering down and across. Strip back as you would be trying to imitate a baitfish. Be sure if fishing with a streamer to increase your tippet size as the strikes on light tippets will break off the fly.

Good luck

7mm08":1h4n1x7w said:
GTK ..... turn from the dark side! Ha!
I know ! i went once a few weeks ago with a friend, using his stuff. I was hooked literally from the first cast. Nothing like standing in a mountain stream flyfishing. I dont' know what it is that does it, but it is addicting.

lots of new terminology to learn too. I can see where a man could go broke buying up the latest gear.

Now i'm looking for waders and wading boots. these duck hunting/crappie fishing wader aren't going to cut it with all the walking and wading thru/over/around these slick rocks.

TOday i had to work, and it was 62 degrees ! Tomorrow, we get 10" of snow :bash:

Cabela's " Gortex or fake-Gortex" served me well for many years!!! Don't go crazy until you're really hooked!

I don't EVEN want to think about what I have spent on flyfishing...... cheaper than an affair and another marriage I am sure ! Knowing what I seen from guys in the healthcare!! Fish and fish often !

Thanks for the replies and messages.

Some more questions:

1. Leader/Tippet length: Is there any guidelines for how long your leader/tippet should be? I have a tapered leader on now that is about 4' and i tied a 5x tippet on that is about 4'. My rod is 9' 5w.

2. Fishing dual flies: I was suggested to fish two files at once. Does the line that you tie to your second fly need to be smaller than the line tied to the first flY? I have read the first fly needs to be bigger, and it acts as an "attactor"

3. Strike indicator: Whats a good rule of thumb for positioning your strike indicator? I read to set it about 1.5x the depth of the water? Where i plan on fishing soon, the water can go from 2' deep to over 6' really quick

As you have read, a good starting point for your indicator is 1.5 times the water depth. If it is fast moving water, you likely will have to go further up the leader. For slow moving water, you may need to set it to the water depth.

You are wanting to see/feel a little tic every now and then as the bottom fly touches bottom. But, you don't want it deep enough that it is snagging on the bottom. Unless there is a hatch going on, the bottom 6-8 inches of water may be your best strike zone.

going to be good weather early in the week, so i'm headed for some "gold medal water" either tue or wed. a place called 11 mile canyon, about 1.5 hr from the house. its catch&release, and even though i like "catch & eat" , as long as i'm out of the house i'm happy.

gtk":1izuo6x1 said:
going to be good weather early in the week, so i'm headed for some "gold medal water" either tue or wed. a place called 11 mile canyon, about 1.5 hr from the house. its catch&release, and even though i like "catch & eat" , as long as i'm out of the house i'm happy.

looks like an awesome place to fish. good luck.

https://youtu.be/YqFfgjj42CM

Latest posts

Back