• Help Support TNDeer:

Fly tying kit

WTM

anyone that ties their own flies got a kit they would recommend? bluegills tear the crap out of flies. would probably be more economical to tie my own or repair.

I don't know that I'd recommend a kit. If you stay with it you'll end up upgrading most of the tools and the materials are junk. And I don't tie to save money. I'm not sure that's possible unless you are a full blown production tyer.

I tie because I like to experiment, fish/hunt with things I've made, don't have a fly shop nearby, and so I can customize the size/color/action of the flies.

The most important tool for tying, in my opinion, is the vise. I recently got a Mayfly rotary vise. They are only available on eBay and are assembled in the US just across the river in AR. There's nothing more frustrating than a hook turning loose from the vise right after you've wrapped and trimmed a hackle. Once I got my jaw tension set, it's been rock solid. This vise runs less than $100. You won't find anything with near the features it has for anywhere close to that.

Otherwise, I'm using entry level tools. I whip finish with my fingers and the bodkin. I use clear fingernail polish for head cement. I pretty much stick with 210 denier thread for all my tying too. I don't tie down past a size 12 hook and hate breaking thread. I can tie bluegill nymphs and spin deer hair bugs with the same spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said, you likely won't save money if you get into fly tying. However, you WILL get a lot of satisfaction in catching fish on flies you have tied yourself. You will have the ability to tweak some fly patterns to make them more effective, and to tie stuff that isn't locally available. The thought process of tying to imitate various fish food items will make you a more effective fisherman as well.

I highly recommend the jump. If you just want to see if you like it, there are some basic kits out there that will let you get started without breaking the bank. If you think you are going to stick with it, I'd recommend going a step or two up on the vise and basic tools so you don't feel the need to upgrade from the basic stuff.

Don't listen to those other guys, you'll save thousands in a year or two by tying your own flies. (Insert sarcastic smiley here).

That's a nice tool kit, but you can save a bundle by just buying a few necessary tools and improvising with others as you need them. And, I have that Loon ergo bobbin and hate it. The neck (?) is too long. If I was putting together a kit, I'd buy the following:

1 pair of Dr Slick scissors - not cheap
1 pair of small craft scissors - cheap
2 ceramic bobbins - not cheap
1 whip finisher - cheap as you can get
1 bodkin with the recessed back for whip finishing - cheap
1 pair of hackle pliers - cheap

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PLEASE DO NOT BUY MATERIALS!!!!!!
I am needing to and starting to clean out my fly tying stuff of almost 40 years! I even have a BOX of stuff from the late John Betts who started the synthetic material revolution. Seriously let me know what feathers, materials you need and I can send a care package. I could teach you how NOT to use a whip finisher if you are good with your hands . HA! Never used one in 40 years.

What I worked on last night for Redfish.
Song Dog Shrimp. Another reason to kill 'em all!

Latest posts

Back