• Help Support TNDeer:

Flyfishing can be addictive

Rebel

Reading Ruger's post about flyfishing made me recall how I got started with the "Magic Wand".

Flyfishing has become my favorite form of fishing. I grew up in Louisiana and bass fished and fished for White Perch (Crappie), panfish and Bass as soon as I was old enough to hold a cane pole. I used a zebco 33 then a zebco one and then on to the bait casting reels...

When I was 12, I was walking along the river bank one day and a flyrod floated right up to me. It was an 8 foot Garcia. I took it home and my Dad bought me a Martin reel and some floating line. I didn't have a clue as to what to do with it. I had no knowledge of leader, tippet, backing or the special knots needed to link them all together. My Dad didn't either. I tried tying monofilament to the end of the floating line and that seemed to work ok on Bream and Bass but it certainly wouldn't fool a trout. Ha! I didn't even know what a trout was at that age!

With that setup I taught myself how to flyfish a little at a time. In turn the bluegills and Bass I caught taught me the rest...

In 1996, I moved to Maryville, Tennessee and began troutfishing with the flyrod in the great Smoky Mountains. Reading books and asking for advice helped me to get the hang of it and I finally started catching those tiny liitle rainbows and occasionally a few Browns and Brookies.

I've been here 21 years now, and the trout tremble at the sound of my name. :) I call my flyrod "The Magic Wand". I slay the trout wherever I go. I can still fish with a spinning rod but I probably use the flyrod 98% of the time. It's so much more complicated than just casting a plastic worm, spinner bait, or a plug or.... trout bait!

Rebel":qwrci3ml said:
When I was 12, I was walking along the river bank one day and a flyrod floated right up to me. It was an 8 foot Garcia. I took it home and my Dad bought me a Martin reel and some floating line.
That's the greatest introduction to fly fishing I've ever heard. Makes you think that it just had to be your calling

Latest posts

Back