• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots for fall

I do not know where you are but it is so dry here nothing would grow..I have seen Dandelions shriveled up .
BUT ...if you do have water,I like brassicas...and My favorite Alfalfa.Clover is good to.

Brassicas covers quite a few plants including Turnips Kale cabbage ect.Kale and Rape would be what you want.

I won't be planting anything for awhile. I'm hoping that the fall will be better. The fields are brown right now, but recent rain may change it.

If I pretend to be a weekend farmer, then I'll need to be an optimist.

Legnip said:
What is your best fall/winter food plot and when do you plant it? Are turnips the best bet? When do you plant them?

We have about 40 1/2 acre fields and we use a blend of winter wheat and clover mix.......my personal preference is a blend of wheat about 60%, Oats 38% and ladino clover 2%. Cant beat it in my opinion. :)

I'm in Lincoln County and turnips and rape worked great early season but thay really eat up the winter oats early and late season,they would pass the turnips and go to the oats,tagged out last year over the oats, my son killed his first deer over the same plot.Was seeing 20 to 25 deer every day early season.

We are planting buck forage oats and winter wheat in all of our bigger plots. The smaller ones will have late season brassicas. We wanted annuals, since corn is going in all of our plots next spring

Latest posts

Back