• Help Support TNDeer:

From 8:00 a.m. on ?

JDBinTN

I know this has been discussed on here, but what tactics do you all use to get on turkeys mid morning thru the rest of the day?

The same as any other time.Lots of loud yelps and cutts.I have had great luck at midday this year.I've called in 3 so far between 11 and 2:30 this year.

fields are a good place to sit midday and afternoon but its boring hunting.IMO

RAFI said:
The same as any other time.Lots of loud yelps and cutts.I have had great luck at midday this year.I've called in 3 so far between 11 and 2:30 this year.

So just walk and call?

I sometimes walk and call, and sometimes I just sit silent and listen for one to fire off on his own. It depends on how vocal the birds were at daylight, how active the woods are, what time of the season it happens to be, how thick the foliage is, and how the terrain I am hunting lays.

Walking and calling works fine most of the time, but almost every bird I killed here this year, I found by just sitting for 30-45 minutes without making a sound. They fired off on their own, and I moved into a comfortable distance, the rest is history.

Patience, Patience, and Patience. Letting things unfold sometimes is unbelievably deadly.

JDBinTN said:
RAFI said:

So just walk and call?

I walk and call but if I know a spot they use a lot I might go and plan on sitting for an hour.most times they will show up in 30to 45 minutes.They will sneak in without gobbling half the time at midday so you have to keep a good watch for them.Good thing about midday is you don't have to deal with as many hens.midday gobblers can also come in fast so if you get one gobbling you better be ready to set up.

The last 3/4 of the day is nowhere near as exciting and fun to hunt Turkeys vs. the early morning hammering that normally exists. You can absolutely kill them all day long, its just a much slower type of hunt. I personally like to run and gun and all the excitement and show that goes with it. I dont get much out of bushwacking one, but its definitely an effective way to kill them if its what you like.

I beg to differ some of the wildest hunts I have ever had have been in the afternoons. Hard gobbling birds and loads of fun.

Sure the best time to hear the most birds is at first light, but with regards to killing birds any time from an hour after fly down on is far better for bringing one home.

Setterman said:
I beg to differ some of the wildest hunts I have ever had have been in the afternoons. Hard gobbling birds and loads of fun.

Sure the best time to hear the most birds is at first light, but with regards to killing birds any time from an hour after fly down on is far better for bringing one home.
ditto, the trick is to just find one that wants to play and when you do they will gobble just as much as they do in the mornings

I agree that if one will answer you late in the day he's likely a dead bird, but imo its hard to find these players on a regular basis! I like my mornings much better on average!

Winchester said:
The last 3/4 of the day is nowhere near as exciting and fun to hunt Turkeys vs. the early morning hammering that normally exists. You can absolutely kill them all day long, its just a much slower type of hunt. I personally like to run and gun and all the excitement and show that goes with it. I dont get much out of bushwacking one, but its definitely an effective way to kill them if its what you like.

I agree.
Chances are, you are more likely to bump one in the afternoon than mornings when they are fired up. I like my odds knowing where the birds are. While I have killed a many in the afternoon, mornings are always much better for me. They (all) dont sound off in the afternoons like most do in the a.m.

This time of the season,you're basically hunting subdominant birds that had their butts whooped by the boss early in the morning, roaming looking for thier own hens. They will often come in silent.

Or, you're looking for that dominant bird whose hens have ventured away from him to lay mid-day. That bird will be very vocal mid-day.

With this season being so dry at this point, I'd stay close to water (500 yards or so)... they've been heading to water earlier in the morning than what I've seen in years past. In fact, Friday, I had a group of 4 gobblers, 2 jakes, and 5 hens pitch right off the roost to a creek to drink and strut.

Jason Bagby said:
Winchester said:

I agree.
Chances are, you are more likely to bump one in the afternoon than mornings when they are fired up. I like my odds knowing where the birds are. While I have killed a many in the afternoon, mornings are always much better for me. They (all) dont sound off in the afternoons like most do in the a.m.
I hear ya Bagby, when we gona get together and kill some more?? Had a blast last time dirt rolling those Lincoln co. birds, we need to do it again!

Winchester said:
Jason Bagby said:
Winchester said:

I agree.
I hear ya Bagby, when we gona get together and kill some more?? Had a blast last time dirt rolling those Lincoln co. birds, we need to do it again!

Whenever you are ready. Come on down. Got one last weekend and havent been back but did hear a lot on the one farm I was on. (Same one you killed the triple beard on. :D )
I am always ready whenever bud. You just let me know when you can make it down.

Sounds good and I may just take you up on it, Camargo is calling our name!!lol We got some catching up to do regardless if we killem or not!! I'll be in touch ol buddy!

Latest posts

Back