• Help Support TNDeer:

Fun Day On The Caney Again - 17 inch Rainbow

Yea... I hate that net. I accidentally left my other one at home, so I bought that one at Walmart. Way too shallow.

Nice, fat 'bow. You might check out the Measure Net. I've got one with the rubber catch and release net and it gets the fish back in the water quicker, doing just like the name says with a glance. http://www.themeasurenet.com/default.html
Also, you might consider trout magnets. They're dynamite, especially in the spring, and you won't gut hook 'em. Remember, just because they're able to swim away doesn't mean that they won't end up belly up later, and if you fish often enough you'll see what I mean. But please don't take my advice as criticism. Only trying to help. I had a really nice one break me off last trip fishing 6x tippet (4 lb- test) and later wondered if I could've done just about as well with 5x fluoro given the poor water clarity.

I really appreciate your advice. I just saw one of those nets today in another video and wondered where I could get one. I'll definitely look into that. I hate not getting the fish back into the water faster, but I like to measure too. I'll take all the advice you have.

To the trout magnets, I tried them this past weekend. I caught two, but they didn't seem to be as good as I'd hoped. But it was a really slow weekend, so I'll give it another try. I used the fluorocarbon line leader and rigged to their specification, so I'm not sure. When I use salmon eggs, Gulp, or a whole night crawler, I use a small #8 hook. I'd really like to find some #7s though, but they're tough to find.

TboneD":4l76sr50 said:
Nice, fat 'bow. You might check out the Measure Net. I've got one with the rubber catch and release net and it gets the fish back in the water quicker, doing just like the name says with a glance. http://www.themeasurenet.com/default.html
Also, you might consider trout magnets. They're dynamite, especially in the spring, and you won't gut hook 'em. Remember, just because they're able to swim away doesn't mean that they won't end up belly up later, and if you fish often enough you'll see what I mean. But please don't take my advice as criticism. Only trying to help. I had a really nice one break me off last trip fishing 6x tippet (4 lb- test) and later wondered if I could've done just about as well with 5x fluoro given the poor water clarity.

Back Home":1dvs9g9f said:
I really appreciate your advice. I just saw one of those nets today in another video and wondered where I could get one. I'll definitely look into that. I hate not getting the fish back into the water faster, but I like to measure too. I'll take all the advice you have.

To the trout magnets, I tried them this past weekend. I caught two, but they didn't seem to be as good as I'd hoped. But it was a really slow weekend, so I'll give it another try. I used the fluorocarbon line leader and rigged to their specification, so I'm not sure. When I use salmon eggs, Gulp, or a whole night crawler, I use a small #8 hook. I'd really like to find some #7s though, but they're tough to find.

TboneD":1dvs9g9f said:

I got my Measure Net from Bass Pro if I recall. As for the Trout Magnets, I completely understand, and I'm no expert on them. I'd like to learn more on how to fish them, though, because I like to take friends and family sometimes. As for using bait, the only way I've ever avoided gut hooking is to drift bait on the bottom where there's current. Fish those spots on the Caney nowadays and you might get knocked over by a kayak, at least on the upper river. And of course, that's not usually where the big browns will be on low water. Good luck with it. By the way, you strike me as the type that would absolutely love fly fishing. It's not always the case, but my zebra midge was outfishing anyone within sight couple weeks ago below the dam's nature trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TboneD":1akdke32 said:
Back Home":1akdke32 said:

TboneD":1akdke32 said:

I got my Measure Net from Bass Pro if I recall. As for the Trout Magnets, I completely understand, and I'm no expert on them. I'd like to learn more on how to fish them, though, because I like to take friends and family sometimes. As for using bait, the only way I've ever avoided gut hooking is to drift bait on the bottom where there's current. Fish those spots on the Caney nowadays and you might get knocked over by a kayak, at least on the upper river. And of course, that's not usually where the big browns will be on low water. Good luck with it. By the way, you strike me as the type that would absolutely love fly fishing. It's not always the case, but my zebra midge was outfishing anyone within sight couple weeks ago below the dam's nature trail.

I was in Bass Pro last weekend, and I checked out their nets. They had what must have been the Cadillac of all nets because it was $70.00 :o . I checked out all they had, but there were none that had a way to measure. I'll definitely ask the next time I go it because I hate taking them out of the water. As for me being a fly fisherman, I probably would enjoy it, but if I start another hobby, I'm going to go broke. Between bow season in the fall, followed by black powder, followed by gun season (then hunker down for the winter), then break out the fishing reels, I've got all I can stand. Maybe I'll give it a whirl one day. :)

With the trout magnets I find they are best in swifter water. If I feel it hit bottom I'll never get a strike. I can cast to the same spot and keep it off the bottom and have one.
May try using the bobbers that come in the trout magnet kits.

My go to for trout are the magnets. Corn. And Panther martins

Latest posts

Back