• Help Support TNDeer:

GARMIN Striker 7sv review(more pics added with comment)

WTM

quick summation, going to post some pics as soon as i get them uploaded.

although cruising around birdsong creek, i did not find a single bluegill bed, but this thing will show fish as a white hot return IF you set the contrast high enough. most people dont play with contrast and sensitivity enough to get good results. im thinking that it will show bedded bluegill as a white hot dot.

this unit WILL keep settings after power down, EXCEPT for manual depth which defaults to 50 ft BUT there is a quick +'and minus key that quickly sets depth on the fly. whoever the guy was that posted on reviews that it will not keep settings was either lying and didnt actually own the unit or he was not hitting the save button(checkmark key).

i was planning on getting to the north of the lake, where i bluegill fish, but i am still playing with the transducer position on the transom. my wife came up with an ingenius way of temporarily mounting the transducer with industrial velcro and waterproof HVAC tape. it worked like am harm.

the keys and menus are very intuitive and you can quickly move from menu to menu while trolling and scanning. the color pallete has many options but i like the inverse grey with the contrast jacked up to 70-80% and the fish seem to jump out. the blue color is also good for those settings.

the downscan and 2d chirp are excellent, about as good as lowrance and it should be because the same engineers designed it thus causing the lawsuits. the side scan technology is liscensed from hummingbird according to court documents.

now for the conclusion, at $499 and with sidescan for a 7 inch screen, IMHO its worth the money. the newer model echomap 73sv or 93sv would be good choices as well since they put out 500 watts to the transducer and they have better processors to compute the sonar data with less compression.(i believe this is the reason that the 800 khz doesnt look quit as good as the 455 khz mode). that said, 2 things kind of bother me, 1. no software updates or any way to install them and 2. this unit has an internal battery that can be used without a 12v battery as in ice fishing or in kayaks. but with a 2 year warranty and pretty good customer service im not really worried that much because if it lasts 4 years, then that averages to less than what i pay for tackle and bait every year.

if you have plenty of cash to spend go with hummingbird 10 inch units or better and 360 transducer on the bow. i saw one that was scanning bluegill beds in real time and you could see the fish on the move in protect mode on the beds, but you gonna pay for it.

bass under birdsong bridge, i know they were bass be ause they were feeding top water because several thousands swallows were dropping stuff into the water from their nests above.

IMG_0441_zpsrhgl1je4.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0448_zpswl2vmmbi.jpg
[/URL]

one final comment, the transducer in this 7sv and the newer model 73sv and 93sv share the same TG52 transducer. the older model 73sv that is selling at reduced prices has the older transducer that did not show fish returns well, if at all, but shows structure a little clearer. these newer models show structure and fish returns. this is info from a GARMIN tech guru.

Re: GARMIN Striker 7sv review(some pics added)

Looking forward to more pics.
You do know you don't need Photobucket any more right?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

You can upload directly from your computer or phone right to the thread.

When i get back to a computer I will post some detailed instructions. Too much trouble on my phone.

So,
Would you buy this one again?
I am finally gonna get around to springing for a better unit. Merry Christmas to me!

Just wondering if you ever found any bluegill beds and if you got any pics of what they look like on this unit?

with the price at $399 on the last gen, would make a good starter unit. the new units are at $499 and include wifi, ethernet ports, autochart live to make your own lake maps and the software can be updated. this would be handy since they dont include any mapping on this unit.

to be honest, right now, the price on a last gen helix 7 at dicks for $599 is a better buy and if you can get a deal like silverfox did on a helix 9 for $565 the better.

garmins side image is a little granier than humminbirds and they all will pick out bream beds. the 2d sonar on garmins is unbeatable and if you use 2d a lot that might factor in.

BBG is $779 on the gen 1 Helix 9 SI model right now. It's the KVD edition. That's still not a bad price since there's no tax on it. Be like getting it for $700 before tax in TN.

If you're not in a hurry, I might would wait until the Lowrance Hook 2 series come out. They talk like they are going to be reasonably priced and do side, down and chirp. I don't know what the quality will be like.

SilverFox":3jvxqfsi said:
BBG is $779 on the gen 1 Helix 9 SI model right now. It's the KVD edition. That's still not a bad price since there's no tax on it. Be like getting it for $700 before tax in TN.

If you're not in a hurry, I might would wait until the Lowrance Hook 2 series come out. They talk like they are going to be reasonably priced and do side, down and chirp. I don't know what the quality will be like.

i would take garmin model of the same price over the cheaper lowrance models. they are cheaper and as far as side image, i think garmin is a little better and easier to use. but as a nav unit running downscan at 50mph then lowrance is great. thats how i use my lowrance. they never seem to lose bottom and keep me out of trouble.

The Hook 2 is going to be the first time they have offered side scan in the cheaper units from what I understand. It hasn't been released yet. I don't know what the quality will be but there's a lot of hype right now from all the videos I've seen.

SilverFox":2oemx786 said:
The Hook 2 is going to be the first time they have offered side scan in the cheaper units from what I understand. It hasn't been released yet. I don't know what the quality will be but there's a lot of hype right now from all the videos I've seen.

i was speaking of the elite series, which is what i call entry level/midrange lowrance units. they are on par with garmins 73sv and 93sv for more money. if the side scan is as good as the elite for the same price as garmin units or less then it will be a good deal.

SilverFox":15ovaatp said:
I may be wrong about the release date. The video I saw said they wouldn't be available until first of 2018 but it looks like some are available now.

according to the Hook2 specs the 7" model includes sidescan for $649. the 9" model does not include sidescan for $769. and a 12" model with side scan for $1499. doesnt make sense not to have side scan on the 9" model. garmin will eat them alive in that models price/value.

edit: it does appear that the specs listed in the store sites says the 9" model does have the triple shot xducer which includes side scan. so why does lowrances description say different? confusing.

Been looking for a reasonably priced fish finder for my stratos bass boat . Been between lowrance and garmin products . Actually liking the garmin 7sv and the features it has . Just don't know anybody that uses them . That's for your input on the product . I fish the tn river frequently just south of I40 bridge . Think I will see if it goes on sale after Christmas

Latest posts

Back