• Help Support TNDeer:

Garrett Lake

JimFromTN

Has anyone ever fished? I went this weekend with a couple of friends and caught maybe 25 between the 3 of us. All were small. The 2 biggest were probably a pound to a pound and a half. Its a pretty little lake that looks really bassy. It allows boats but the entire lake is a no wake zone. No water craft allowed on the lake that isn't for fishing which includes canoes and kayaks. The limit is 5 bass, no size limit. I was not sure if thats because the trwa wants people to keep the small ones to help with the population. Kind of reminds me of Radner Lake in Nashville, which you can't fish which resulted in there being no decent sized fish because it is so over populated with small ones. It was a fun little lake.

Yep , fished it from the day they opened in 1960 I think. Used to have concessions and boat rentals back then.
Not nearly as good as it was 40 years ago. It is doing its job and collecting silt from the hills. It is quite a bit shallower than it used to be . It has been drained down once maybe twice and restocked. The first time about 1975-77. They wanted to get out the rough fish which had a big population. The second time it was drawn down was when the put in the fishing dock and dug out around the banks and created the berms. I heard they wanted to raise the spillway and make it a little bigger and deeper, but we had a county commissioner that got in the way. Politics.

I saw pictures of 40 plus lb cats caught in the last year or two. Ruger and me mainly use for a bluegill hole now. Haven't caught a good bass there in years. Has some crappie and chain pickerel that you can catch in winter pretty often.
It gets a lot of use now.

When I was a kid , I helped my dad and Mr Jim Tucker , the guy who ran the concessions, spray the banks all the way around it. They didn't want it to grow up. I think we did that twice then they decided the cover was good and that was the end of spraying. :lol:

Back