• Help Support TNDeer:

Getting started in Tennessee

Snowwolfe

I consider myself a very experienced Alaska fisherman as we lived there for almost 35 years and pretty much succeeded in catching whatever we were chasing.
Fast forward to now and we live in beautiful Tennessee where my fishing knowledge is severely lacking. I purchased a 19 foot Alumacraft aluminum semi v boat and will pick it up in about 6 weeks. Neither me or momma liked the idea of fishing on top of a bass boat so the semi v won the contest to get our money. The boat will be equipped with a Helix 10 SI with GPS as well as a Ulterra 36 volt trolling motor.
I have not bought any tackle yet as I simply do not know where to start.
Where do you think we should fish this summer and what do you recommend we fish for? We like it all, cats, bass, walleye, stripes, even carp and trout. Trout is probably at the end of the list as we caught plenty living in Alaska. I don't mind driving up to 100 miles each way to get our feet wet.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Being on Monterey you're within an hour of catching just about anything in Tennessee. Center hill, dale hollow, Cordell hull, and the caney and Collins river are all close. Where to go just depends on what you're after that day.

You owe it to yourself to spend a few days on Dale Hollow this spring. It's magical for a fisherman if you like catching smallmouth. I spend 3-5 days a week on Old Hickory lake chasing largemouth all year with the exception of November and December to deer hunt. And although OH is a tough lake to bass fish at times; I love the challenge. But I do love catching smallmouth bass more than anything. And spring time on Dale Hollow is the magic carpet ride every fisherman deserves. When the fish move up to spawn it gets fun. There's something about fishing that very clear water and seeing those brown fish hammer your lure of choice. I've got myself excited now. Can't wait

Most fisherman in TN fall into one of two categories. Either they are sport fishermen or they like to fill a cooler. If you are the former, then you will likely be chasing bass and there are infinite ways to accomplish that. Seeing that you bought a semi V hull you are probably the latter. For those like me, crappie is king in TN and nearby states. In fact the best crappie fishing lakes in the country are within 100 miles of Memphis across the line in MS. Some of the lakes near you have great crappie fishing too. Crappie fishing is best in Spring or Fall but my favorite time to fish is during the Summer when they go deep. If you've never tasted fried crappie filets, you have missed a true southern delicacy.

We fall in the middle between fishing for sport and filling a cooler. Like to eat fish on occasion but love to catch them more. But if I caught any really big bruisers would mostly just take a photo and release the fish. Pretty much all medium size catfish and bigger panfish as well as walleye will follow me home to the freezer and fryer.
I grew up in Pa and did fish for crappie, bass, catfish, etc but a lot has changed since the late 1960's :)

If you figure it out, please teach me!
Transplanted FL boy and could catch anything that swam down there, salt or freshwater. Up here, I can catch bass during the summer, but everything else is hit or miss. Mostly miss.

Douglas is about 120 miles east of you. Fish are caught in good numbers all year long. I saw 20-25 bank fishermen at one spot today. Not many boats out today though. They were catching a few crappie today. Water level has dropped so fishing was slow. Walleye and sauger will pick up in a few weeks. White bass run will start mid-March. Bass will be off and on until mid-March as well, then pick up. Bluegill will start bedding in May. There's not many catfishermen but it will pick up in April, especially around rocky banks.

Welcome to Tennessee. I am a transfer here from Missouri and live in middle TN now. We are blessed with excellent year round fishing for a multitude of species here. From Monterey, there are four excellent fisheries within an hour from you.

The boat and set up you have will be an excellent choice for multi species fishing. That 36V Terrova makes trolling easy. The boat I just sold was mainly set up for catfishing with multiple rod holders around the boat and also worked well for multiple species trolling. I am setting up an 18" Lowe deep V now the same way. With this setup, you can troll for anything from crappies to walleye to stripers. We catch a lot of crappie trolling crankbaits in the summer and long lining jigs in the winter on Percy Priest lake. I only fished Center Hill one time trolling crankbaits for crappie, but caught walleye instead, so I know you can troll for walleyes there. The Cumberland river below Cordell Hull holds some big stripers and they can be caught by trolling also, we have caught some nice ones fishing for catfish. Cordell Hull lake also has excellent striper fishing. The Tennessee rivers system lakes have big stripers also, but have never fished for them there.

To find out all about trolling crankbaits for crappie, go to crappie.com and go to the Mississippi state forum. Find the sticky thread called pulling crankbaits 101 and settle back for some excellent reading, it will take you a while to read the whole thing. Also, you might want to search for some information on striper fishing in TN, specifically around Cordell Hull and Watts Barr lakes.

If you think you might want to get into catching some monster Blue cats, I would suggest you contact Richard Simms and book a trip with him to see what it's all about.

You are going to like fishing here in TN.

We attended a boat show at the Nashville fairgrounds this past weekend and it drove me nuts to see all the gear for sale but I didn't have a clue what to buy!
Thanks about the guide tip. We may check him out when cat fishing heats up.

If you like catching a wide variety of fish, get some soft plastics that look like shad/baitfish in the 2" - 4" range in 1/8 to 1/3 oz jighead weights, and fish the tailwaters below some of your local dams starting in April or so. When the fishing really slows down during the "dog days" of summer, the early morning tailwater bite can be the best thing available, as the cooler water coming from the bottom of the upstream reservoir provides cool, oxygenated water and keeps the fish in that area more active.

I've been on many trips in that environment where i've caught 8 - 10 species of fish in a single trip. I love that type of experience, as you get to see a great cross-section of game fish that Tennessee has to offer.

I generally fish with a medium-weight, 7-foot spinning rod with 8lb test unless I'm going after striped bass (rockfish). With the lighter outfit, I'm typically targeting white bass, smallmouth, largemouth, sauger (cousin to walleye), small stripers, big crappie, and other medium-sized fish. By keeping the setup lighter, you get better casting distance, more bites with the lighter line, and the fights are a blast. When fishing faster-moving water, color patterns with white or pale shades seem to do pretty well. If the current slows, go to natural colors or pumpkinseed/brown/green and down-size baits, as you will get more visual inspection from the fish.

Whne targeting bigger fish like stripers, I use heavy bass fishing or catfish gear, depending on whether I'm using lures or live bait. If the stripers are actively feeding on the surface (often warmer weather in the very early morning), I tie on a big, ugly topwater bait and rip it across the water like I'm trying *not* to catch one. The strikes can be spectacular, and the fights are great fun. 10-12lb test line with a medium-heavy spinning or baitcasting setup matched against a bunch of "schoolie" 3-7 lb stripers can be an absolute hoot - but be warned, you sometimes only have a feeding frenzy like that last only 15-30 minutes before calms. Those small-ish ones are also fair eating on the grill if cooked fresh, but otherwise true rockfish are not especially tasty and valued mostly for sport.

Getting a cast net and becoming proficient at using it can become almost as fun as fishing with the rod - it can be very productive to drift live shiners/shad with medium-sized hooks and little or no weight. Larger weights are used to catch lots of types of fish hanging lower in the water column, but break-offs are common. Still, I've seen some of the biggest fish caught using those types of methods when dropping a big bait down "in a hole".

I'm not a trophy fisherman at all, so most of my tackle recommendations are going to lean towards the small/medium range. I like to catch a larger number of good quality fish, but I'm not really interested in trying to fish all day long after that one elusive trophy smallmouth (or whatever) that bites a 6" crankbait. If you are just getting started in fishing Tennessee, it's hard to go wrong with soft plastic jigs of assorted sizes. Brighter colors should generally be reserved for dam tailraces (with a few exceptions), so I'd steer you towards subtle natural-looking colors when first stocking your tackle boxes. As far as hard baits go, Rapala makes some really quality lures that can catch all sorts of things - for example, the X-rap (which unfortunately keeps getting more expensive) will catch suspended or shallow water fish from Tennessee to the Gulf of Mexico. I would invest in crankbaits in a couple of different color sets that go to several depth ranges - that's a whole different topic in itself.

Hopefully someone in your section of the state could take you on a few ride-alongs to show you some tactics for different species. Your area of the state is a pretty great one to live in when it comes to quality fishing opportunities, so I think you will have a lot of fun adventures in your future.

I would reccomend that you gat this book for Mid TN and you might want the East and West versions. It has good maps of the lakes with a lot of info.
It is Sportsman's Connection Middle TN Fishing Map Guide. You see them in some Walmarts sometimes. Amazon prrobably has them.

Did manage to find a nice book on Amazon about Tennessee lakes and rivers, good reading. Also plan on booking a trip for the wife and I with Mr Simms in May or June for catfishing. I have some experience with Rapala lures as a youngster but never did that well with them. I do remember using an assortment of Mepps spinners and doing well on bass and pike. Tried plastic worms often but didn't do well. Need to watch some videos on working on my working and jigging to hone my skills.

One thing that is unusual here is I see plenty of places to launch but not many docks. You guys launch then beach the boat then walk back out to the boat wearing boots?

Snowwolfe":lhmrxzz6 said:
Did manage to find a nice book on Amazon about Tennessee lakes and rivers, good reading. Also plan on booking a trip for the wife and I with Mr Simms in May or June for catfishing. I have some experience with Rapala lures as a youngster but never did that well with them. I do remember using an assortment of Mepps spinners and doing well on bass and pike. Tried plastic worms often but didn't do well. Need to watch some videos on working on my working and jigging to hone my skills.

One thing that is unusual here is I see plenty of places to launch but not many docks. You guys launch then beach the boat then walk back out to the boat wearing boots?

That situation affects the type of boats that you see in certain areas. I've always fished out of relatively small (14-18') aluminum boats that could pull up to the bank due to low draft, so I never had that problem much. On bodies of water with poor drop-off, boots, wading shoes, or barefoot tough guys can be found beside the V-hull boats :)

Back