• Help Support TNDeer:

Habitat or regulations?

If you took habitat and food away, would the deer survive?

Likewise, if you took regulations away, would the deer still survive?

I think habitat and food have the bigger effect, although both do affect the herd, habitat and food have a far greater effect imo.

MUP said:

I think habitat and food have the bigger effect, although both do affect the herd, habitat and food have a far greater effect imo.
no and yes,but if its poor habitat,would some regs be helpful?Wonder where this thread is going :)

MUP said:

That makes sense.

Good habitat can support more deer

Football Hunter said:
MUP said:

no and yes,but if its poor habitat,would some regs be helpful?Wonder where this thread is going :)

He just asked which had the bigger effect. ;)

MUP said:
Football Hunter said:
MUP said:

He just asked which had the bigger effect. ;)
Ok,then habitat would be it I guess,rocks and cedar trees dont provide much food.

Doskil said:
Which has a bigger effect on the deer herd:

Habitat and food

or

Hunting regulations?

Depends on where you are talking about and what you mean by "bigger effect on the deer." Individual deer health and performance, herd structure, population...?

BSK said:
Doskil said:
Which has a bigger effect on the deer herd:

Habitat and food

or

Hunting regulations?

Depends on where you are talking about and what you mean by "bigger effect on the deer." Individual deer health and performance, herd structure, population...?

Exactly. We all know that regulations will make for more trophies, that's a given. :)

MUP said:
BSK said:

Exactly. We all know that regulations will make for more trophies, that's a given. :)

HA! :D

wouldn't both habitat and regulations be equally important? No habitat, deer have no place to live. No regs, people kill out all the deer.

catman529 said:
wouldn't both habitat and regulations be equally important? No habitat, deer have no place to live. No regs, people kill out all the deer.

We have a 3 buck limit in TN right now, but only a tiny percent of hunters kill 3 bucks. In some areas, current regulations play little role in what is killed.

BSK said:
catman529 said:

We have a 3 buck limit in TN right now, but only a tiny percent of hunters kill 3 bucks. In some areas, current regulations play little role in what is killed.
I wasn't talking about bucks though, I meant the whole deer herd. Didn't they re-stock Tennessee with deer because there were previously no regs and overhunting killed them all out?

In a real world situation that your very likely talking about, HABITAT hands down, as im sure there are already regulations in place, of which are very unlikely to be so radical they hugely affect the herd negatively or positively beyond normal!
Whereas Habitat can absolutely make or break a herd, even with decent regs in place!

catman529 said:
BSK said:
catman529 said:

I wasn't talking about bucks though, I meant the whole deer herd. Didn't they re-stock Tennessee with deer because there were previously no regs and overhunting killed them all out?

Recreational and subsistance hunters did not wipe out the deer populations. Market hunters did. It used to be legal to sell wild animal meat in every market in America. Professional market hunters killed every deer they could find to sell those deer to the big meat markets on the East Coast. In fact, what killed all the deer was the invention of the refrigerated boxcar, which allowed deer carcasses to be transported from anywhere to the East Coast without spoiling.

Latest posts

Back