• Help Support TNDeer:

Hatchie River NWR question

Bucks & Beards

Poser said:
I'm kind of confused by the hunting map for HRNWR. Question for anyone familiar:

Hatchie2.jpg

The map indicates that the area with the XXs (Bear Creel Canal area) is "Archery Deer and Spring Turkey allowed." This seems to imply that this is the only area where that hunting is allowed. In other words, the map implies that archery deer and spring turkey is not allowed anywhere else.

However, the rules themselves indicate otherwise:

Access for hunting, fishing, and other public use is permitted on the 11,556 acres of Hatchie River National Wildlife Refuge, except as me be regulated by other provisions, such as special closures fir sanctuaries or by signs on the area.

There are not any "No Hunting" signs in the central area off of Powell road and the few people that I have talked with about hunting here did not indicate anything about being restricted to such a small area.

I am aware of the waterfowl sanctuary closures and the no hunting zone around the headquarters.
My understanding is that all of the Refuge is open except the "Closed to All Hunting" area.

Poser said:
CAMARO12 said:
No centerfire or rimfire rifles, muzzleloader rifles or handguns are allowed as hunting weapons in the area with x's due to it's proximity to the interstate and Oneal Lake. But archery equipment and shotguns are allowed in that area for turkey and archery equipment for deer.

Ahhh.... Now that makes sense. Thank you for the info... I was clinging to the hope that 10+ miles of scouting wasn't in vein:)
If Johnny Cash's "Big River" keeps coming up you'll have to head to the few hill Hatchie has...

Back