• Help Support TNDeer:

Help on the Watauga

tree_ghost

So I have a bachelor party/fishing trip planned for the first weekend in March on the Watauga River. We always have the option of the South Holston for a backup plan. We will be wading and using light spinning tackle for the most part. I have never fished this river so any advice on where to put in at or what might be a good bait would be appreciated. I know it's not the ideal fishing time of year but it's what we have to work with...

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Holston has got to be my favorite river in TN. You'll have a good time. I don't know anything about spin fishing for trout, but if trout magnets work as good for trout as they do bream, I'd start there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That should be a real good time of year for tailwater trout. The water is a pretty consistent temperature year round and the crowds won't have shown up yet. On the South Holston, they'll be filling the lake, so you should get a good generation schedule for wading. They don't start filling Watauga until mid March, so the generation schedule may be a bit more up in the air for it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

smalljawbasser":3f2zgikc said:
There are a literal ton of guides working both rivers these days. If it were me, I'd look into that. It'd be a lot more fun, and you wouldn't have to worry about anything.

This is the best answer yet. I live about 5 min from South Holston. More drift boats than you can count most times out, but they seem to catch fish. Not a ton of
public land around either river and the property owners can be very hateful. There are some public spots on both rivers though. The big ones are running the river to
spawn right now. Looks like Monday will work out for me :party: Hope to post some pics then

Oh man this is good info! So do you think that a drift boat would be a better option than wading or do you think a combo of both would be the ticket? I've always enjoyed wading personally...

tree_ghost":2vl2s4i5 said:
Oh man this is good info! So do you think that a drift boat would be a better option than wading or do you think a combo of both would be the ticket? I've always enjoyed wading personally...

A drift boat would be way better. Wading a tailwater is a recipe for disaster if you don't know the water. Plus, public access is very difficult.

I know on Holston there are a few places for public access, but they get POUNDED. plus the better ones are quite a long walk. Most private land owners THINK they own to the middle of the river and will gladly let you know you are over the line :livid: Drift boats would be the best bet. even more so if you fly fish. There are several place to put in and take out drift boats down the river. Also there is a good fly shop right near the Holston. http://southholstonriverflyshop.com/index.html

Latest posts

Back