Cooked 'em up last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,249
Re: Hey woodyard

Oh yeah ! That looks pretty good!
I should have been prepared and got up there Friday. Of course I had to meet a guy about a patio door early and of course it was supposed to rain shower off and on. I kept looking and it was mild and not too much wind and I kept thinking I should have been on the lake. :lol:

i can catch them but undoubtedly i cant cook filets worth a dime. it doesnt matter summer, winter, fresh, frozen and thawed slowly, dipped in lemon juice or salt water before freezing, etc. they always fall apart from being mushy but they taste good though.

WTM":1miwv5aw said:
i can catch them but undoubtedly i cant cook filets worth a dime. it doesnt matter summer, winter, fresh, frozen and thawed slowly, dipped in lemon juice or salt water before freezing, etc. they always fall apart from being mushy but they taste good though.
What temp you cook them on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah sounds like cold oil cooking. I run at 375 for 3 1/2 - 4 min. I'll set my cooker so it will not drop below 350 even when both baskets full drop together.

i cook at 375 and i only fry a couple of pieces at a time. the oil stays boiling the whole time except when they are getting done. i even tried it in a cast iron skillet the ole timey way but the same thing.

would the thickness of the crappie filet cause this? the last few years ive been catching big blacks and the filets are maybe a 1/2 inch thick or a little over.

so maybe i need to cut them in half before i cook them?

I cut my big ones in half but the thickness is the same. Idk what else would cause that. I do know that my cajun fryer was one of my best purchases.

Hmm that's interesting WTM.
I just thaw mine, or fresh, throw some Andy's on them and chunk them in a fry daddy.
Never had them fall apart.
Again however, that was my first time cooking crappie, other than the very occasional one that I pick up while bream fishing.

I think bream is a lot more "sturdy" of a fish though so that may be why I have never had an issue.

Latest posts

Back