• Help Support TNDeer:

Hitting early this year

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I don't fish year round, never have.
Between deer and duck seasons I just don't.

Dunno if it is because duck season has sucked so bad the last two years or what but I believe this is the earliest I have been chomping at the bit to go fishing.
Already getting bass stuff rigged up and ready to go.

Sure would be nice if we had some decent weather this spring.
I'm ready to catch some big ole ditch pickles and load my freezer up with bream. :D

This time of year can be some of the best fishing of the year, with little traffic on the water...

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Aquaholic":2fcaxeni said:
This time of year can be some of the best fishing of the year, with little traffic on the water...

x2. I like fishing in January about as much as any time of the year.

I went for the first time since before deer season a couple days ago. First smallmouth of the year! Wear em out Ruger

5c6349b17c7f42743051cfe48a8e836b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WTM":cid7wmky said:
TRIGGER":cid7wmky said:
It's probably because it's in the 60's. That and fishing is much more fun than duck hunting.

yeah, spending a couple of grand to kill a dozen or two ducks aint fun. why i quit several years ago.

I quit 12 or so years ago after a couple dismal seasons. My son got hooked on it last year. He's bought a boat, blind, decoys, choke, cases of shells, waders, etc., etc., etc. They have several poor trips for every good one. I went with him a couple weeks ago and remember why I quit. Too much work for a few ducks. He's got some good hunting buddies and they cook and eat and have a good time, but I'd rather be deer hunting or fishing.

Spurhunter":15teu60o said:
WTM":15teu60o said:
TRIGGER":15teu60o said:
It's probably because it's in the 60's. That and fishing is much more fun than duck hunting.

yeah, spending a couple of grand to kill a dozen or two ducks aint fun. why i quit several years ago.

I quit 12 or so years ago after a couple dismal seasons. My son got hooked on it last year. He's bought a boat, blind, decoys, choke, cases of shells, waders, etc., etc., etc. They have several poor trips for every good one. I went with him a couple weeks ago and remember why I quit. Too much work for a few ducks. He's got some good hunting buddies and they cook and eat and have a good time, but I'd rather be deer hunting or fishing.

I never duck hunted till a few years ago when my son got into it.
Next season I will still go to Gooch but my blind picks will be limited to the top 4 and that's it.
Gonna look for a private spot to get and if neither one of those pan out I will be doing a lot more fishing next year.

Buzzy":32lrnro4 said:
My brother has a joke that his favorite day to fish is deer gun opener! These are good fishing days we've been having

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i guess that depends where you are fishing. mid section KY lake looks like God took a dump in it.

The nonstop spilling at Pickwick is killing me, I like fishing around the dam this time of year.

I figured out I have too many hobbies I enjoy doing that the "prime time" for, overlaps. I have basically zero things I like to do during the summer months. I hate summer. When the cooler weather rolls around, everything I like to do hits too. Right now I can't make my mind up on fishing, what to fish for, or whether to go look for arrowheads, civil war stuff, or whatever else.

easy45":3vvroodg said:
The nonstop spilling at Pickwick is killing me, I like fishing around the dam this time of year.

Best bet is to head down river and check out cuts/creeks/ seams off the river, fish them every way you got, the fish will tell you what they want, how they want it and where they are at... 97% of my fishing is with jigs, from 1/64th to 1 oz...

Aquaholic":2q3zoxsx said:
easy45":2q3zoxsx said:

Best bet is to head down river and check out cuts/creeks/ seams off the river, fish them every way you got, the fish will tell you what they want, how they want it and where they are at... 97% of my fishing is with jigs, from 1/64th to 1 oz...

lol, i wouldnt advise that right now unless you like driving a boat through a mine field. savannah is 5 feet over flood stage today and up through coffee landing rd is under 5 feet of water. they are pulling almost 200k through kentucky and pickwick and it will pull every log and trash off the banks along with it. jville is almost at summer pool and wont be but a couple of days and that crap will be hitting us.

WTM":3al6tyrf said:
Buzzy":3al6tyrf said:
My brother has a joke that his favorite day to fish is deer gun opener! These are good fishing days we've been having

i guess that depends where you are fishing. mid section KY lake looks like God took a dump in it.

How bad is it? I figure Jville is pretty stained/muddy. It usually takes a lot for it to get muddy north of danville.

looked like chocolate milk with logs the day before yesterday. the wind is keepin it stirred up too. may be a shad kill if they get caught up shallow this weekend with this high water.

RUGER":1he6impo said:
...but I believe this is the earliest I have been chomping at the bit to go fishing.
Already getting bass stuff rigged up and ready to go.

Sure would be nice if we had some decent weather this spring.
It will be late arpil/early May before the lakes are clear of ice enough for me to fish. Got someone wanting to take me ice fishing, but sitting on a frozen lake just doesn't seem like fun to me

I got to go once between Christmas and New Year's and we caught 52 crappies. Since then TVA and mother nature haven't wanted me back out on the lake.

Latest posts

Back