• Help Support TNDeer:

How long does fishing line keep?

TheAirMan

I'm talking unused of course. Say if it's been stored out of the sun and kept around room temperature. It may be a stupid question but I am no fisherman by any stretch of the imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it will last long time kept properly. I watched a Hank Parker show some years ago, that talked about this. He put all his line in a old igloo cooler. He said line absorbs materials such as gas fumes, paints and other chemicals. The closed cooler keeps that harmful stuff from affecting the brake down of the line. I have been doing this for some years now. Braid and True 100% flourocarbon line will last much better than mono, in my observation.

Years ago I used to fish with ultralight gear a lot, then wandered away from it. In the last couple of years I'm back into ultralight quite a bit. This year I used some 4 lb. mono. that I bought in 1991. I know it's that old because I had written the date on the spool. I couldn't tell that it was any weaker, had lost any stretch, or was any more prone to kinking. It was not stored in the dark, but it was in my basement in an area away from sunlight. I also have two bulk spools of cheap, no-name line (6 lb. and 12 lb.) that I bought in the late 70s to use for backing on my reels. Still seems to be in good shape, also stored in my basement.

I would say quite some time. I currently have 17lb suffix mono thats been tied onto my reel for 3 years. The memory is still very little just like the day I put it on. I stick fish with it every week..Its seems plenty durable, Im not worried about it breaking one bit. If it can last that long without needing replacement on an active reel, I say it could last 5 times that on a spool.

Latest posts

Back