• Help Support TNDeer:

How many lights?

Atchman2

How many lights do you reckon I need for bowfishing? My boat isn't very big (picture a Tracker bass boat). I can probably mount like 3 50 watt LED lights on the front. I also have some bright night hunting lights I can put on my bow.

Right now I have like a 400 watt converter hooked to some batteries. I'm not interested in a generator because I'm not very healthy and probably can't last but a couple hours fishing.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

The more the merrier haha. If you think you can only put 3 up front, then try that and see if you're happy with the amount of light. As far as LEDs running 12/24 volt, I'm no help. We only run generators with HPS.

Do you shoot clear or muddy water normally?

Mostly the water is murky since it is Fort Loudon. I have been over to Melton Hill and the water is much clearer. I guess the only way is to get out there and try it. I'm pondering making a temporary mount and platform to put on the boat. I have plenty of scrap plywood, some indoor outdoor carpet, and some 4 x 4's.

Though folks have been VERY helpful on here, I have yet to see a fish during the day. That would be my preference but I guess I'm going to put some money into setting up some lights.

I think my max might be five 50 watt lights with the inverter.

Look at viugreum LEDs. They are supposed to be good for a cheap light. I have shot fish in the daytime and it just isn't for me. I'd much rather shoot at night.
Also get on www.bow.fishingcountry.com forums and look around. The forum is pretty dead these days, but there is a ton of info on everything bowfishing.

ruger7mag":273nquiz said:
Look at viugreum LEDs. They are supposed to be good for a cheap light. I have shot fish in the daytime and it just isn't for me. I'd much rather shoot at night.
Also get on http://www.bow.fishingcountry.com forums and look around. The forum is pretty dead these days, but there is a ton of info on everything bowfishing.

The lights I bought were the viugreum LEDs. :) I saw a good review on them on Youtube. Just got to figure out if I can make stand that is at least as high as the front of my boat and that I can put it on and take it off. I can stand on the front, but I'm too unbalanced to do that for very long without falling in. (I have MS and sometimes my feed are numb).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPVr8TK6UlY

I had a feeling that video was the one you saw. He did a good job testing those LEDs.

I have seen a wide variety of rigging to put lights on a boat. I'm sure it's possible to figure out a way to put them on your boat. Post a pic of the inside/front of your boat if you get a chance.

I had 12 500 watt fixtures running 225 ultra bulbs and there were times I wish I had more near the back. Soft white is your friend when it comes to led's. If it's a smaller front end, you would probably be fine with two on the front and one on each side and would light up all you'd need.

rukiddin":3d68oyx7 said:
I had 12 500 watt fixtures running 225 ultra bulbs and there were times I wish I had more near the back. Soft white is your friend when it comes to led's. If it's a smaller front end, you would probably be fine with two on the front and one on each side and would light up all you'd need.

The 225 ultras used to be really popular. That's what I ran on my first boat. It surprises me that some ppl still run halos.

ruger7mag":31k30jmv said:
rukiddin":31k30jmv said:

The 225 ultras used to be really popular. That's what I ran on my first boat. It surprises me that some ppl still run halos.

All my buddies are running hps with a few switching to leds. I've been out of the bowfishing scene since I sold my boat about 3-1/2 years ago. I lucked up and found a guy who had the 225 ultra bulbs on eBay. I sent him a message and asked how many he had and what was best he could for all. I ended up
Getting 2 cases of bulbs from him. Still had a ton of'em when I sold my boat and they went with it. I sure miss bowfishing, the tournaments and the Waffle House breakfasts as it's breaking day light after shooting fish all night but I miss absolutely nothing about owning a bowfishing boat. I swear my wife was crying tears of joy when it left the driveway for the last time. Hahahaha

rukiddin":1a5tcevb said:
ruger7mag":1a5tcevb said:
rukiddin":1a5tcevb said:

All my buddies are running hps with a few switching to leds. I've been out of the bowfishing scene since I sold my boat about 3-1/2 years ago. I lucked up and found a guy who had the 225 ultra bulbs on eBay. I sent him a message and asked how many he had and what was best he could for all. I ended up
Getting 2 cases of bulbs from him. Still had a ton of'em when I sold my boat and they went with it. I sure miss bowfishing, the tournaments and the Waffle House breakfasts as it's breaking day light after shooting fish all night but I miss absolutely nothing about owning a bowfishing boat. I swear my wife was crying tears of joy when it left the driveway for the last time. Hahahaha

We may have been buying our bulbs from the same person. I always bought mine from eBay too. Not many ppl knew about the ones on there apparently. Anytime someone mentioned 225 ultras or had some for sale, they were gone quick. Now all 3 of our boats have hps and I don't think we'll ever run anything else.
The tournaments are a blast! I love the competition part of it. With one son and another on the way, it is getting tougher for me to go on the multiple night scouting trips though.
Lol my wife feels the same way about my boat! If I mentioned selling it, I think she would knock me down going to take pictures of it for the ad. I have been thinking about getting rid of mine. It never gets used since the other two boats my teammates have are big fan rigs. My boat has been out less than 10 times in the last two years combined.

Latest posts

Back