• Help Support TNDeer:

How often do you call?

Big J

These birds have been silent after they hit the ground lately!

When I get in in the morning what would you guys suggest?

If he is gobbling on another ridge do I go after him or sit tight?

How often should I call once they hit the ground?

Yelp? Purr? How long should I be quiet between calls?

When should I move? Thanks J

Around me they are gobblin a bit later than first day. around 30 minutes later. Making it too light to make major moves. I like to move in if Im certain I wont be seen. How much I call or how often is gauged by the bird. I guess I take his temperature. Im figuring the birds are nesting more and leaving more lonely gobblers. I think there is good hunting yet to come. Im looking forward to it.

hunterchub said:
Around me they are gobblin a bit later than first day. around 30 minutes later. Making it too light to make major moves. I like to move in if Im certain I wont be seen. How much I call or how often is gauged by the bird. I guess I take his temperature. Im figuring the birds are nesting more and leaving more lonely gobblers. I think there is good hunting yet to come. Im looking forward to it.
X2

Its usually to light to try and get close to the one's I hunt after they start gobbling also. Especially since I hunt mostly field birds.

Get close but don't over do it. You may get to close and actually spook the bird. He may hear you walking and think it is a hen and won't fly down for AWHILE. Depends on the bird on how much to call, some you have to call soft and others you can let it all hang out. Wait a couple of hours after light and then go after them, give the hens time to go to nest, pays off alot of times with those stubbord toms.

Latest posts

Back