• Help Support TNDeer:

How to toughen up chicken breast?

pressfit

Been catching quiet a few cats on chicken breast but.. man they can steal it right off your hook no problem.. any ideas on how to toughen it up a bit?

This is baffling to me! :?: Are you sure you're not buying chicken tenders (cuts that have been pre-tenderized)?

One reason I love chicken breast is that it almost NEVER comes off the hook. Normally the only reason I lose a piece is when I catch a fish.

But I did try chicken tenders once and, yes, it came off the hook easier than chicken liver.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say you bought chicken tenders (knowingly or unknowingly) instead of regular cut chicken breast.

rsimms":1jr7miwm said:
This is baffling to me! :?: Are you sure you're not buying chicken tenders (cuts that have been pre-tenderized)?

One reason I love chicken breast is that it almost NEVER comes off the hook. Normally the only reason I lose a piece is when I catch a fish.

But I did try chicken tenders once and, yes, it came off the hook easier than chicken liver.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say you bought chicken tenders (knowingly or unknowingly) instead of regular cut chicken breast.

i bet you are correct. chicken tenders are the "tenderloin" of the breast, a small strip that is sometimes removed , and sold seperately, in boneless breasts unless you buy the whole halves. the tenders are the small strip that sits on the rib cage, but they are not usually ran through a tenderizer.

i wonder how turkey breast would be? ive used turkey and rooster livers for years and they are much tougher on the hook. from a cost persoective you may get more for your money, or not, depending on price of turkey lol.

rsimms":1vkbs1hh said:

Nope.. in fact.. the breast I bought still had the bone in them.. when baiting I actually cut 1"x1" cubes, took my treble hook off the line, pushed it through the chicken and snapped it back on my swivel.. all 3 hooks are buried into the chicken...

Your catfish must be a WHOLE lot smarter than mine. :shock:

It's not unusual for me (or my clients) to catch 4 or 5 fish on a single piece of chicken breast.

For what it's worth, I use a single chunk of chicken (usually larger than what you are using) on a single Kahle or Daichii hook... hooked through thickest part of CB chunk, always with the hook point exposed.

In this picture you can see CB still hanging on hook in background.

Attachments

• watsons1.jpg
    watsons1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 525

Latest posts

Back