• Help Support TNDeer:

hunting foodplots in evenings?

jjake40lb

What do you do hunting in the evenings and the field is loaded with deer at dark? Do you get down and spook them? Last year I got caught in my stand and sat there an hour after dark. When I did climb down I spooked all the deer in the field.

Im not afforded the opportunity very often, as I rarely get to hunt anywhere near a food plot. When I am, I prefer to have them ran off after dark by some other source than me, like having someone drive in to pick me up in a vehicle where possible, or simply walk in from the opposite direction and spook them away so I can get down undetected.

1. Have someone drive in and pick me up.
2. If not possible, I will blow like a deer, this clears the field, but does not alert deer to my presence.

I've had fairly good success yipping and howling like a coyote to clear the field but it definitely doesn't work all the time.

Having someone pick you up is always better. Had a buddy in a stand overlooking a field a couple years ago. He said he had a whopper of a buck come and bed down right at dark between him and the field (15 yards) but it was too dark to shoot. He just bedded with the scent from the field coming straight to him. My buddy was able to text me inside his jacket so the light wouldn't spook him. When I came to get him, he said the buck jolted when I got about 100 yards away. Still better than seeing or smelling a human or both.

I always hate those situations when your stranded up in a tree at dark. Especially when you don't have anyone to pick you up. One of my biggest pet peeves is spooking deer on purpose. CAN'T stand it! But sometimes its necessary. When I am in that predicament, I usually try to find something to throw. It usually ends up being my water bottle. I just simply toss it out in the field. Ha it spooks the heck out of them. But honestly imo, they just run off from an awkard sound and they get over it. Much better than them seeing a human climb down from up above. A howl works well too

Just another reason why I don't make it a habit to hunt food sources........in the morning, deer may still be in the field, and in the afternoon, they may be there....

Now, if I walk out at night, I walk out quickly and only after it gets good and dark. And hopefully downwind of the deer.

Deer might spook or move off the field, but won't go far and will come back.

If you are lucky enough to have an exit that lets you walk AWAY from the deer and not TOWARD/THROUGH the deer, that is definitely much better. Even though they will still see you, if you are walking away from them, then most times they are less likely to do much more than watch you until you get out of sight...imo.

yesterday, i was talking with a fellow hunter and he asked me where I prefer to set up , bed or feed and I said NEITHER. he looked at me sort of oddly and so I simply explained that I prefer to set up where the deer are not, at the time , but will make their way through there on their daily travels....

the best feeling is to know that you are in a deer area, but walk in and get setup without spooking anything (to your knowledge). The only sound I want a deer to make is the sound of their footsteps in the leaves and when they pile up!!!!

enjoy

Most of the time, I am about 100 yards from the fields and dont have to worry about it. The deer is either dead before it gets to the field or at dark I just slip out around them

Latest posts

Back